lost go pro and tray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hondaid

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
we think its between the mine sweeper and the wall. if you find it you can keep the camera all we want is the memory card . The card will have a whale shark trip and lots of dive picts. Thanks.

gb

YUP SAD BUT WE HAVE VERY HIGH HOPES THAT IT WILL BE FOUND

That is why I always download my photos/videos every night onto my laptop. Sad but true.... we had a camera flood many years ago, and it taught us a lesson. Luckily only lost that days stuff, and the camera. Now we don't travel without our laptop for that reason, plus we can check out our footage shot that day too, and correct any problems we see. Peace of mind.

As has been posted before... Did you shoot some video of your name, and contact info, where you were staying on island and the op you were diving with? It only need be a few seconds of video but do that and the odds of recovering your device of being found increase greatly if found by an honest diver or a DM.

There are some great stories of go pros finding their way back to their owners but the rest are either now shooting video somewhere in someone else's hands or are destined to reside among that global layer of sediment to be discovered 10,000 years from now when the geologists (from here, there or wherever) will ask, "What the heck are these little boxes that litter this planet in this time frame?".

Having contact info is important but it's also important to decide which you prefer will happen IF you loose it. If it's positively buoyant it will go to the surface & follow the current, land on a beach etc. If it's negative it should be somewhere within reason in the vacinaty it was lost.

Even better, use Brother P-Touch label inside the left side of the housing where nothing happens. Name, E-Mail, andTelephone # are all you need and you don't have to worry if they're techies.

That is why I always download my photos/videos every night onto my laptop. Sad but true.... we had a camera flood many years ago, and it taught us a lesson. Luckily only lost that days stuff, and the camera. Now we don't travel without our laptop for that reason, plus we can check out our footage shot that day too, and correct any problems we see. Peace of mind.
YUP

What Pete said. *soap box mounted* (not specifically directed at you hondaid)

It baffles me as to why people don't take the time to put their contact info on their gear. Label, paint stick, sharpie, etc is such an easy fix. Everyone here knows how much gear is involved in diving. We also know that if it goes on, in, or near water then it's going to be expensive. Neighbor had their Hero3 get caught on the ladder on the way into the boat (wow - never seen that happen) and got to watch it fall to the bottom as they were getting on the boat in a high current drift. No name, no nothing. It is a highly dived area so I am sure it'll be found (yours & theirs) but without the owner's info it's quite a bit more work re-uniting it. Local dive ops were notified but it's been more than a month so I'm thinking that someone has a new GoPro setup. I don't hold anything with just my hands any more - took me at least a hundred $s to finally figure it out Everything gets clipped in and then tugged on to make sure it is actually secure - and I still occasionally loose things (trauma shears last weekend that somehow managed to jump off my d-ring but subsequently retrieved by a following diver). Bolt snaps, retractors, tether/leash or what ever is helpful insurance - but not fool proof. I've stepped on lobster nets getting on the boat unknowingly and come up with just a leash and a handle. If it has your name on it, most divers I believe will make an effort to get it back to you. Your name makes it personal, rather than just a piece of gear.

What Pete said. *soap box mounted* (not specifically directed at you hondaid) we felt bad enough when it happened lots of lessons learned just hope it is found.

Back
Top Bottom