Lousy shipping options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Lecter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is there a good reason the only options presented on the DSS website for shipping a small order of hardware and accessories to Hawaii are UPS? UPS is overpriced, slow, lacks Saturday delivery even on its supposedly faster delivery options, and gives pathetic delivery-side customer service in general.

I saw a mention of USPS First Class mail, though it wasn't a selectable option, but no mention of USPS Flat Rate Priority box (2-3 day service versus 1-2 week service, tracking included, free box for you, and about $20 cheaper than UPS ground for what I wanted to order). Why not?

According to their website they only use UPS.

In addition, the USPS has been so fluid lately seeing as how they are crashing and burning that they are making themselves less and less of a viable option. It's a pain to offer flat rate priority shipping when some items will fit into a box and some will not. The checkout process has no way of knowing what will fit into a certain sized box and what will not. UPS insures up to $100 for free as well.

Also, I'm curious if you could elaborate on "pathetic delivery-side customer service"...

---------- Post added July 25th, 2013 at 07:26 PM ----------

If you're talking about the knock and run away thing, that's pretty much a requirement at UPS...

Is there a good reason the only options presented on the DSS website for shipping a small order of hardware and accessories to Hawaii are UPS? UPS is overpriced, slow, lacks Saturday delivery even on its supposedly faster delivery options, and gives pathetic delivery-side customer service in general.

I saw a mention of USPS First Class mail, though it wasn't a selectable option, but no mention of USPS Flat Rate Priority box (2-3 day service versus 1-2 week service, tracking included, free box for you, and about $20 cheaper than UPS ground for what I wanted to order). Why not?

We do offer range of shipping options depending on the goods ordered, their value, sometimes their total weight, and the destination.

Often the if the value exceeds a given amount the USPS option becomes unselectable. If the USPS looses something it can be next to impossible successfully file a claim.

If you want a delivery service that is not available via our online order form just send us an email. You will be advised of the other options, and their costs and limitations regarding insurance, tractability etc.

In some case we will ship however the customer dictates, *if* the customer acknowledges and accepts the risk of loss.

Tobin

Also, I'm curious if you could elaborate on "pathetic delivery-side customer service"...

---------- Post added July 25th, 2013 at 07:26 PM ----------

If you're talking about the knock and run away thing, that's pretty much a requirement at UPS...

I'm not sure what he meant by it but the last item I had scheduled for delivery by UPS did not show up the day that the tracking said it would. Since I really needed the item I was closely watching the tracking and thought everything was good when I saw the notice that it was out on the truck for delivery. I was really surprised to look at the tracking later that day and see that my delivery wouldn't be made due to "local weather conditions." Since it was 85 degrees that day and not a cloud in the sky, the only explanation that I could come up with was that the driver decided to go fishing instead of making his deliveries since the weather was so nice.

I'm not sure what he meant by it but the last item I had scheduled for delivery by UPS did not show up the day that the tracking said it would. Since I really needed the item I was closely watching the tracking and thought everything was good when I saw the notice that it was out on the truck for delivery. I was really surprised to look at the tracking later that day and see that my delivery wouldn't be made due to "local weather conditions." Since it was 85 degrees that day and not a cloud in the sky, the only explanation that I could come up with was that the driver decided to go fishing instead of making his deliveries since the weather was so nice.

UPS is not perfect, but they are pretty good. We ship the majority of our higher value goods via UPS and the vast majority arrives on time.

The tracking with UPS is also pretty accurate. Not so with USPS. I've had inbound packages sent USPS where the tracking info doesn't update for days, and on the day it's finally delivered I get a page worth of tracking info all at once.

Shipping can be a puzzle that we try to solve daily.

Tobin

For shipping to Canada UPS is probably the worst option if you can afford to wait a but longer and won't freak out if tracking is not accurate. Their brokerage fees are completely ridiculous and they only deliver during work hours so you have to drive to one of their inconveniently located distribution center to pick it up.

With all that said, every time I've wanted something shipped through USPS from DSS it's never been a problem, so I appreciate the service they provide.

Tobin,

Thanks for the reply: my intended order was generics (couple jet-cut D-rings and LP hats) that would fit perfectly in a flat rate small box or envelope. I'm glad you've had relatively positive experiences with UPS, but I'm sufficiently annoyed by them that I'll order this kind of stuff from somewhere that doesn't make them the only easily available shipping option. Being quoted $27+ to ship that to HI by UPS Ground and needing to personally contact you to get it shipped in a common sense manner isn't something I want to support. Though next time I need a wing, BP, or anything else you guys do superlatively, I'll just hold my nose :wink:

When I order from DSS, smaller lower value items, they always offer several options. I always select the low cost at your risk option and touch wood in over 5 years of ordering miscellaneous items have never had any items go astray, admittedly some times the item has taken 3 weeks to arrive in Japan but am unsure where the bottle neck is. I'm not usually in a great hurry so am not so concerned about delivery times. I too appreciate the alternate options offered. Having to pay more in postage than the item costs never impresses me so am glad that at DSS this is avoidable, certainly on lower cost items anyway.

The past couple orders from DSS have only allowed UPS when checking out, but I've received a call from them asking if I wanted to ship via USPS because it was considerably cheaper.

That doesn't surprise me, given my limited past experiences with DSS (all good) and what their reputation is generally, lonebrave. Too bad it's not clearly offered at checkout--the main reason I use online stores is ease of getting things ordered, and having to hope I get such a call and/or pick up the phone doesn't really gibe with that. It's a silly quibble, but I really, really hate UPS and moving to Hawaii has just magnified their numerous flaws IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom