Love:Hate relationship with Compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an Oceanic compass that came with my Pro Plus 3. No issues whatever with it. I also had an Oceanic compass that came with my Pro Plus 2. The compass outlasted the computer !!

Divegoose

Had the same experience with Suunto. Switched to "high tilt" Pelagic 8 years ago. Still works fine. I bought this Genesis/Sherwood one because there's no stupid logo to clutter up the view.
View attachment 512015

I dived an Oceanic Pro Plus 2 from 2002-10, the computer is still in the family, along with 2 other PP2s, the compasses all work fine. I've been diving a VT3 primary and Geo 2 backup since 2010. Without a digital compass, I've needed an analog compass and bought an Oceanic wrist unit. After about 8 years, somewhere around 1,000 dives, and some pretty rough treatment, the gimbal broke. I sent it into Oceanic/Huish, and they sent me a new compass module for $25. The new one only has about 250 dives on it, I hope it has a long way to go :)

I've had good luck with DGX compasses. I've owned 2. The first was the "high hat" which I really liked. I lost it at the Cliff in Bonaire messing around in the shallows. I knew the bungee was getting a bit loose (I wear it on the back of my hand) and I guess it slipped off or the bungee broke. My bad. I was so used to it, I didn't realize I had lost it until I was on shore. Went back to look, but no joy. :( I picked up the low profile version and I've had it ever since. No complaints about either one.

I had a love-hate (maybe even hate-hate) relationship with my compass until I started using a Perdix. I really love the Perdix compass and I find I use it more than I did previously, just because it's reliable, easy to read, tilt compensated, and just generally works well. I like not having a separate device, too (though I can see arguments both ways on that).

I love my Suunto and I definitely rely upon and need a compass for my diving.. but I am getting so frustrated with durability and reliability issues. In the last 6 years, I have gone through 3 of these and at $100+ it is so frustrating to keep replacing.
WTH are you doing with them? I bought my SK7 back in '12, and it's still going strong. Bungee mounted.

I've usually been wearing it on my forearm, but I'm currently experimenting with wearing it on the back of my hand.

I had a love-hate (maybe even hate-hate) relationship with my compass until I started using a Perdix. I really love the Perdix compass and I find I use it more than I did previously, just because it's reliable, easy to read, tilt compensated, and just generally works well. I like not having a separate device, too (though I can see arguments both ways on that).

Not to hijack thread but would love to hear pros and cons of mechanical vs digital compasses. I just got a Teric and was so impressed I had no intent of using analog compass again.

I've usually been wearing it on my forearm, but I'm currently experimenting with wearing it on the back of my hand.

I have mine on two bungee straps and slide it to my wrist when the compass is needed for more than a general direction. I strapped it to the SPG hose for a while but I didn't like the bulk. I mounted it at 90° in the old days of analog 3-gauge consoles, which worked pretty well for keeping my body aligned to the lubber line. Super-serious requirements, like combat swimmers, use boards like this:

tac100d-182368872.png

They look like standard compases for boats, which are larger in diameter and gimbaled & domed compared to diver compasses. The two handles also make it easier to stay aligned, though I like handles angled out at about 45° the best.

Not to hijack thread but would love to hear pros and cons of mechanical vs digital compasses. I just got a Teric and was so impressed I had no intent of using analog compass again.

nothing. If it's on your wrist there's no point in having another piece of gear that does the same thing. A lot of guys doing survey work have computers with a digital compass mounted to the nav board or wet notes since it's easier to get the actual bearing

Mine are in my console. First one (used) lasted about 8-9 years then for some reason got a crack in the glass (didn't drop it/bang it, as far as I recall). Shop in NY sold me a new one for $50 US and it's still going fine (6-7 years). Have no idea what brand they were.

I have mine on two bungee straps and slide it to my wrist when the compass is needed for more than a general direction. I strapped it to the SPG hose for a while but I didn't like the bulk. I mounted it at 90° in the old days of analog 3-gauge consoles, which worked pretty well for keeping my body aligned to the lubber line. Super-serious requirements, like combat swimmers, use boards like this:

They look like standard compases for boats, which are larger in diameter and gimbaled & domed compared to diver compasses. The two handles also make it easier to stay aligned, though I like handles angled out at about 45° the best.

I would love to get a nav board like that, but RJE doesn't sell to civilians and when they sneak out into the wild they're stupid expensive.

My SK8 has seen some fair bit of abuse and as of now its still alive and kicking.
Fingers crossed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom