Loving my DGX Ultraview frameless mask...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J322Y

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As a new diver, this is my second mask since being certified. The first one I bought from my LDS where I took the class. It's a Sherwood Oracle+ with magnified bottoms (gauge readers/bifocals) which cost $100. I could read my gauge with one eye only, and the magnifiers are useless for seeing anything else. That led me to research other alternatives, and I settled on diving with contact lenses and a regular mask.

I tried on a frameless mask at another LDS and really liked the feel. It was another Sherwood, called the Scope, and also cost $100.

Then I saw the DGX Ultraview frameless at the Dive Gear Express site. This is their "brand", although you won't find it anywhere on the mask. I guess they buy directly from the factories that produce other brands, and sell them at a very attractive price. The price of this mask is $29! I was close to getting the Sherwood Scope, and also considered an Atomic, but for the super low price I decided to roll the dice on the DGX mask. Their return policy is so good that I could have easily sent it back for a full refund.

When I tried the mask on it felt great, and in the 3 dives so far it fits like a glove, is super comfortable, and no issues with leaking at all. I did have leaks with the Sherwood. (It's available if anyone is interested)

I like Dive Gear Express and the way they do business, but I'm not associated with them in any way except that I'm a satisfied customer. I wanted to share this with the board because of what seems to me to be an exceptional value. I'm attaching some photos so you can get an idea of the quality. Doesn't look like a cheap product at all in my opinion.

*The snorkel keeper isn't included with the mask.

20170902_102511.jpg 20170902_103207.jpg 20170902_102735.jpg 20170902_102858.jpg

From the product page at DGX:

"This single lens frameless design with a double face seal on the skirt fits nearly all Medium to Wide faces. The DGX Ultra View frameless mask offers an incredibly clear glass lens that provides the most clarity possible during your dives. During ordinary glass production, tiny metal particles such as iron remain within the glass. These impurities create a green tint in the lenses of ordinary masks and also slightly distorts the view through such lenses, especially in underwater low light conditions. The Ultra View lens in this mask is made of special impurity free glass and provides ultra-clear, distortion-free vision with maximum light transmission. Diving underwater it seems as if there was no lens in front of your eyes at all. You will see this EXACT mask sold under a variety of different brands. DGX sells it to you at the right price! Matte black color with matte black silicone skirt. Includes the DGX padded mesh mask bag."

Last edited:
All about how it fits you as long as is comfortable. Looks like you got a good deal Ive recently purchased a scuba pro Trinidad 2 also frameless as my other mask is 12 years old now and is so comfortable and such a good seal even with a beard.

As a new diver, this is my second mask since being certified. The first one I bought from my LDS where I took the class. It's a Sherwood Oracle+ with magnified bottoms (gauge readers/bifocals) which cost $100. I could read my gauge with one eye only, and the magnifiers are useless for seeing anything else. That led me to research other alternatives, and I settled on diving with contact lenses and a regular mask.

I tried on a frameless mask at another LDS and really liked the feel. It was another Sherwood, called the Scope, and also cost $100.

Then I saw the DGX Ultraview frameless at the Dive Gear Express site. This is their "brand", although you won't find it anywhere on the mask. I guess they buy directly from the factories that produce other brands, and sell them at a very attractive price. The price of this mask is $29! I had looked at the Sherwood, and also considered an Atomic, but for the super low price I decided to roll the dice on the DGX mask. Their return policy is so good that I could have easily sent it back for a full refund.

When I tried the mask on it felt great, and in the 3 dives so far it fits like a glove, is super comfortable, and no issues with leaking at all. I did have leaks with the Sherwood. (It's available if anyone is interested)

I like Dive Gear Express and the way they do business, but I'm not associated with them in any way except that I'm a satisfied customer. I wanted to share this with the board because of what seems to me to be an exceptional value. I'm attaching some photos so you can get an idea of the quality. Doesn't look like a cheap product at all in my opinion.

View attachment 424953 View attachment 424954 View attachment 424955 View attachment 424956

They are just buying direct and selling direct.

The same quality just not marked up 4 or 5X.

Hey, be glad you found one that fit well and didn't leak so soon! I'm on mask 17 or so...

Then I saw the DGX Ultraview frameless at the Dive Gear Express site. This is their "brand", although you won't find it anywhere on the mask. I guess they buy directly from the factories that produce other brands, and sell them at a very attractive price. The price of this mask is $29! I had looked at the Sherwood, and also considered an Atomic, but for the super low price I decided to roll the dice on the DGX mask. Their return policy is so good that I could have easily sent it back for a full refund.

View attachment 424953 View attachment 424954 View attachment 424955 View attachment 424956

Clever girl.

Clever girl.
Thanks divad!*

*except I'm not a girl. :D

I got the DGX frameless last year. Best mask I've ever had, huge field of view and super comfortable, doesn't even leave any lines on my face after a 2 hour dive. My Hollis M1 is now my back up, doesn't even compare and it was 3x the price. The DGX mask is the same mask as the Halcyon H-View, Dive Rite ES155, and OMS's new Tattoo mask. I asked Halcyon and Dive Rite what makes their mask worth more. Both replied "materials used", I call bullsh!t.

Last edited:
Doe's that make me politically correct?
Don't know about that, but since you haven't seen my back hair I won't fault you for getting my gender wrong. :)

I got the DGX frameless last year. Best mask I've ever had, huge field of view and super comfortable, doesn't even leave any lines on my face after a 2 hour dive. My Hollis M1 is now my back up, doesn't even compare and it was 3x the price. The DGX mask is the same mask as the Halcyon H-View, Dive Rite ES155, and OMS's new Tattoo mask. I asked Halcyon and Dive Rite what makes their mask worth more. Both replied "materials used", I call bullsh!t.
Yeah, I'm impressed with Dive Gear Express. I always look on their site first when I'm shopping for scuba gear. I've spoken on the phone with them a few times, and they've always been very patient and helpful.

Back
Top Bottom