low-cost certification in Los Angeles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm trying to get open-water dive certified and finding the certification cost to be around $500. Are there any alternatives? I'm a bit limited financially and can't drop that amount all at once...

You get what you pay for...low cost doesn't necessarily mean quality...check out the LA county program, interview instructors and find one you like the best, regardless of the agency.

You should be able to get your basic Open Water training for around $300-500. Divers Supply sometimes offers courses for $99, and they hope that you will buy lots of equipment to make up for the loss. Watch for Instructor qualifications and talk to other divers he or she did train. The Instructor is much more important than the training agency he represents - if you have a bad experience during your basic training, you may decide that diving is not for you before you even know how beautiful the sport can be!

Sorry, I did forget to mention YMCA. Sometimes, they offer courses at rock-bottom prices as well.

I'm trying to get open-water dive certified and finding the certification cost to be around $500. Are there any alternatives? I'm a bit limited financially and can't drop that amount all at once...

Unfortunately friend, no matter where you go in your area you're looking to drop at least that much for you're OW certification. Now I noticed you said you can't drop all that at once, so one alternative could be to take the home-study & classroom sessions online for $120 then you can pay the balance of your tuition when you start your in-water training sessions with your LDS.

I suggest Eco Dive Center in your area. Very professional and hardcore divers there.

Unfortunately friend, no matter where you go in your area you're looking to drop at least that much for you're OW certification. Now I noticed you said you can't drop all that at once, so one alternative could be to take the home-study & classroom sessions online for $120 then you can pay the balance of your tuition when you start your in-water training sessions with your LDS.

I suggest Eco Dive Center in your area. Very professional and hardcore divers there.

Costs more to do it the way Morgan is suggeting..Most,if not all lds,charge the same for their course.Does not matter if you do it online or not..Online is like going over the books and video at home.
If spending $500. for training is too expensive I suggest not taking a certification course.Why get certified if you cannot afford to dive? Still would net to get personal gear-thats another $250.-$500.
Take a resort type course (2 hr in the pool and then dive in ocean with pro,with many limitations.)

Costs more to do it the way Morgan is suggeting..

For many LDS's probably...but not all. I know Eco Dive Center in LA takes the difference out of their tuition what you pay for the online courses, so you're not paying any more than you normally would. They are a big supporter for the online thing. Dive Quarters in my area is the same way. In regard to koreanjohn32's dilemma, it is a matter of dropping the money all at once, or at least that is my impression, hence:

I'm a bit limited financially and can't drop that amount all at once...

The online thing is quite simply an alternative from having to drop all your money at once and may buy you a fraction of time to get your finances together.

Back
Top Bottom