Low-cost nitrox compatible home compressor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OCA every single time, even with 120hours on one of the filters this one time.
Single or double stack? Just curious because I am in a remote location and can't easily get air tests. I'm running a K14 with twin 30" stacks, one dessicant only and the second triplex. I've always assumed I'm getting OCA with regular filter changes but have no way of knowing for sure. Not doing partial pressure blending with this one anyway, just curious.

<> I only want to be able to refill nitrox-grade tanks with standard air
There is no need to have to spend US$5000+ to get a compressor with nitrox compatibility.

You might be mixing two things up there. If you have a cylinder that is O2 clean (so it can be filled with partial pressure systems), you need to keep it clean by making sure only oxygen compatible air is pumped in (if you are filling air of course). This is all about filtration, not about the inner workings of the compressor. If the filtration is good enough, the compressed air is clean enough to not cause any contamination of the cylinder.

Your second question about the compressor being nitrox compatible, is all about the compressor itself. If a compressor is rated to pump nitrox, it means you can pump EAN up to a certain percentage (usually 40% is the max) of O2 through the compressor. When compressed, EAN will heat the compressor more than air. Because compression, O2 and higher temperatures don't play nice together, the compressor should be equipped with different O rings, lube, etc. Ideally it is cooled as well. All this to minimize the risk of the compressor exploding. This is all about the inner workings of the compressor, and has nothing to do with filtration.

Keep in mind these are 2 distinctly different things. In theory it would be possible for a nitrox rated compressor to pump say EAN 32 that is not oxygen compatible.

This thread is painful to read.

Single or double stack? Just curious because I am in a remote location and can't easily get air tests. I'm running a K14 with twin 30" stacks, one dessicant only and the second triplex. I've always assumed I'm getting OCA with regular filter changes but have no way of knowing for sure. Not doing partial pressure blending with this one anyway, just curious.
Single. However with your location you would probably want to stick with what you have to keep your moisture down.

Does anyone sell a low-cost compressor under US$3000 that is designed to be compatible with nitrox air tanks?

Not under $3000

Yes I have taken the PADI nitrox course. I am aware of the hazards of using a generic compressor and filling system with nitrox rated tanks.

I have not taken the PADI course so by the term generic compressor I assume you mean a Breathing Air Compressor

I do NOT want to blend oxygen and air at home. I only want to be able to refill nitrox-grade tanks with standard air, when I am unable to easily access blending facilities somewhere else.
Again not having taken the PADI course but I dont think PADI would advocate using as you put it "standard" breathing air compressor for filling standard breathing air into a scuba cylinder that had been cleaned for nitrox. Without offering additional and specific codicils considerations and exceptions.

As far as I can tell the only difference between a generic compressor, and one that is rated for nitrox, is about $100 worth of O-rings and lubricants that are not a fire/explosion hazard in the presence of pure oxygen.

I would be surprised if any oil lubricated breathing air compressor had $100 worth of 0-rings inside could you give a specific make and model that does? Further no oil lubricated breathing air compressor I am aware of used for nitrox uses oils that are fire/explosion hazard proof in the presence of 21% let alone 100%

There is no need to have to spend US$5000+ to get a compressor with nitrox compatibility.

Again another question I'm afraid but did PADI offer a make or model of an oil lubricated breathing air compressor that is nitrox compatible. i.e. one that clearly states on the makers data plate the flow the presure and the percentage of nitrox allowed. Just asking. Iain

I'm selling my compressor and mixing station. I've been using a Nitrox stick to blend 32% and I'm selling my system. Check out the classifieds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom