Low, mid, or high range regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

your post # 12 rules out HOG due to "ubiquity of shop servicing options is important to me"
HOG can't be serviced hardly anywhere due to a limited dealer network. If you want to DIY service from the get go, it becomes an option, as does Deep6
Double Tank Regulator Package - Regulators
Personally I think the Deep6 breathe as good as anything on the market, at least the prototypes did, but you can't go wrong on either side, just don't expect to be able to service anywhere

Let me phrase is like this - If I removed the ubiquity of service options... in what order would you recommend DiveRite, HOG, Deep6?

your post # 12 rules out HOG due to "ubiquity of shop servicing options is important to me"
HOG can't be serviced hardly anywhere due to a limited dealer network.. . .

Is that correct? I was under the impression that many shops that are not HOG dealers would gladly service HOG regs, since they are simple designs that are apparently easy for a knowledgeable tech to service, and the kits are readily available. Not so?

Also, APEKs dealer location really seems to SUCK. I can barely use their website. Is there a good way to see their dealer network so I can compare it to others? HOG ironically has the easiest to use dealer map...

Is that correct? I was under the impression that many shops that are not HOG dealers would gladly service HOG regs, since they are simple designs that are apparently easy for a knowledgeable tech to service, and the kits are readily available. Not so?

if you have the kits with you, they may or may not, but when you are travelling in the caribbean, they aren't going to have the kits. Personally I think this requirement is unnecessary, just buy a doubles regulator set, carry an extra first stage and adjustable wrench in your carryon, and if it fails, just swap all the hoses over.

For Apeks, the Aqualung dealers should have all the apeks parts kits in stock since it is the same company

if you have the kits with you, they may or may not, but when you are travelling in the caribbean, they aren't going to have the kits. Personally I think this requirement is unnecessary, just buy a doubles regulator set, carry an extra first stage and adjustable wrench in your carryon, and if it fails, just swap all the hoses over.

I was thinking more along the lines of ordinary annual (or whatever interval) service than emergency service while on a dive trip. When I'm traveling in the Caribbean or other place far from home, I figure that if my reg ever fails--which is fairly unlikely in the first place--I can just rent one. All of my dive destinations are places where rentals are widely available. I'd rather rent one in the unlikely event mine fails than carry spares or kits, etc. I have had an occasional minor reg problem when traveling--not failure of some part--but the dive shop there has always been able to fix the problem.

i think service options shouldn't really be an issue unless you are likely to move overseas or live overseas for extended periods of time during the year. if your local shop can't service your brand, you can always mail it in. way easier to bring an extra set of regs than trying to get your reg serviced on vacation.

yeah, I guess since I've been firmly embedded in the tech community I don't abide by service intervals.... My regulators tell me when they want service when the IP stops becoming stable. Thankfully there is usually fair warning before it's actually going to fail, but I only service my regs if they ask for it.

Ahh I see. So it's not just about official dealers, its about unofficial dealers having common parts and familiarity with the designs?

ALSO: One brand that has NOT been brought up here that I hear good things about... talk to me about Atomic regulators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom