Low on air and other issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brutus17

Reaction score
Below is a clear example of Murphys law applies to diving. if it can go wrong it will go wrong:shakehead:

I just want to share what happened to me during one of my shipwreck dives in Coron Palawan. I have an AOW certification and have been diving for 2years now.

Three of us went to Palawan to do see the Kyokuzan Maru wreck sunk in 1944. The ship is 140meters long, the mast is at 45ft depth and the deck is at 105 ft. The deepest of part of the ship is at approx 140 ft.

A day before the dive the dive instructor at Dugong dive center in club paradise was very thorough in checking our dive logbooks and C Cards. He told us that we cannot dive the shipwreck right away for there is a pre dive assessment of skills of those wishing to see the wreck.

We obliged, but some foreigners( Japanese, Dutch, Canadians, Americans in group during that day) were not that happy for the predive for they want to hit the wreck dive asap.

The pre dive was around the house reef of the resort and it was really great seeing the sea turtles, jaw fish, pipefish, etc., the only missing creature was the sea cow which was a resident of the site. After giving us the go signal, we scheduled our wreck dive the following day with the other tourists.

During the wreck dive I noticed my fresh tank was just 2700psi, but gave little attention to it even though we will be diving at 110 to 120ft. Our group was divided into 3 teams, all with dive instructors or master with them. We planned the approach and entry into the ship. Our direction around the ship etc. was also discussed, it was reitirated that there was not going to be any deco dive.

Then the following issues came after another. After hitting the water my regulator free flowed for 3 times, after adusting my reg and descedning I saw my computer blinking at only 50 ft and in less than 10 mins into the dive. I assumed the battery was low. Further more I was not wearing a wetsuit but my weight belt I requested for was computed for a suit so I was struggling to keep neutral. Probably my excitement to do the dive, I forgot to lessen my weight.:D

By the time I hit the boat deck at 105 ft my air was 2100 psi only, were still able to penetrate the ship and looked at the old car and jeep inside the wreck. The wreck was magnificent for it was already covered by corals, the deepest we went was 115ft

In a few minutes we levelled at 85 ft. I was already low on air about 700 psi, where in I signalled our guide that I am low on air and was heading up. My 2 other friends still had 1400 psi
The dive instructor signalled what we should do and level up to a shallower depth
Lucky for me, the dive guide placed an extra tank and regulator at about 20ft marker for low on air situation.

After reaching the extra air tank I had to remove my full face mask, grab the spare regulator and wear an extra mask which was in my BC. I stayed at 15ft for 3 mins as safety stop, I looked at my gauge it was only 150 psi. First time it happend to me, normally I always have 500fps after the dive.

Looking back, I took into consideration the free flowing regulator, computer issue, overweighted belt, deep dive etc. Things that might happen the first time but can be fatal for a diver when added together.

I was lucky that the dive operator took time to explain to all divers of the plan and issues we may face during this wreck dive. One foreigner also had low air but had a spare on him, because during the predive he used a lot air for just a relaxed dive at 60ft. So the dive operator attached an extra tank on him.

Kudos, to our dive guide for being level with us in explaining scenarios that might happen during the dive.

In the end, I guess training and preplanning really is worth it.

Thanks for the great post. :)

Back
Top Bottom