LP 72's...again.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SleepySlipper

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello again! It has been a warm 37 DegF the last couple of days in Minneapolis so I decided to shovel the slush from my elderly neighbors walkway out to the street. She came outside, conversation was had, I mentioned ice diving...now I have another matching pair of LP 72's. These tanks have been sitting in a corner of her garage since 1993 from what she can recall and she would not let me leave without taking them off her hands. They are a matching set made in June of 1971. Frankly, I don't know what to do with these tanks. I posted several months ago about the other set of LP 72's that I had doubled, those were made in 1973 and dive great. Last VIP on these tanks was in July of 1990 and they are still under pressure.

IMG_1358.jpg
IMG_1357.jpg
IMG_1356.jpg
IMG_1355.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1358.jpg
    IMG_1358.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 56
I saw those listed somewhere (Craigslist? Facebook?) earlier today along with an old AL80 and almost replied. Can't find the listing now.

They're probably worth hydro, VIP, and a new valve. Someone who dives vintage might want the existing valve assembly but I wouldn't. I might be interested in the cylinders themselves but can't offer much for them. I usually pay $30 for galvanized LP72s "as found" needing hydro and a valve and don't like the painted ones as well.

I saw those listed somewhere (Craigslist? Facebook?) earlier today along with an old AL80 and almost replied. Can't find the listing now.

They're probably worth hydro, VIP, and a new valve. Someone who dives vintage might want the existing valve assembly but I wouldn't. I might be interested in the cylinders themselves but can't offer much for them. I usually pay $30 for galvanized LP72s "as found" needing hydro and a valve and don't like the painted ones as well.

Wild. There was in fact an aluminum 80 along with some welding cylinders that were good for scrap or upcycling. I am in the middle of a move from the NE to the Uptown area, I will make sure to message you when I fully decide on what to do with them. More than likely I will get rid of them for a case of beer!

The tanks need a hydro and VIP unless someone wants them for nostalgic reasons and/or want to get more $$ if they are up for sale.

Valves may be of use to someone who is into vintage equipment.
Personally I would drain the tanks down to about 200 psi if you don't plan on doing hydro and vip.

They appear to be vinyl coted over galvanize by the fact there doesn't appear to be much rust where the hydro stamp is. Some were galvanized under vinyl some weren't.

More than likely I will get rid of them for a case of beer!

Well, if you are not going to fix and dive them, passing them on to someone who will is the next best thing. At that point, a case of beer sounds about right. Nice score in any event, always pays to talk diving.

rare-expensive-beers_westvleteren_720x720-517463a91de8414891ea7d45117f1194.jpg

Belgian monks are well known for devoting their lives to spiritual matters in quiet monasteries during a life of philosophical reflection. Another important skill they possess happens to be brewing truly delicious beer. The monks at the Westvleteren brewery make beer in genuinely small batches. According to the brewery, the beer is a dark amber color and has notes of caramel, chocolate and raisin. To taste it yourself, you’ll have to order directly from the brewery, as part of its effort to limit skyrocketing prices on the secondary market.Cases have been known to command prices approaching $1,000 in the U.S.

A layperson profiting or even benefitting from beer, now there really is a completely foreign concept

Hello again! It has been a warm 37 DegF the last couple of days in Minneapolis so I decided to shovel the slush from my elderly neighbors walkway out to the street. She came outside, conversation was had, I mentioned ice diving...now I have another matching pair of LP 72's. These tanks have been sitting in a corner of her garage since 1993 from what she can recall and she would not let me leave without taking them off her hands. They are a matching set made in June of 1971. Frankly, I don't know what to do with these tanks. I posted several months ago about the other set of LP 72's that I had doubled, those were made in 1973 and dive great. Last VIP on these tanks was in July of 1990 and they are still under pressure.

View attachment 636208 View attachment 636209 View attachment 636210 View attachment 636211

That's pretty interesting, my very first set of tanks was a set of those. Factory Hydro was 1967, but mine had the duel bands with D-rings straps as that was the way they first hit the market.
A few people said to get rid of the Valve!? I can't think of a reason why. It can still be rebuilt with the newer o-rings just don't over tighten the nuts or anything else at that matter for any reason. Some 1st stages didn't fit very well so we use to invert the inlet valve. But more care in transporting is required so not to damage the orifice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom