• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

LP 72's

Discussion in 'Vintage Equipment Diving' started by SleepySlipper, Mar 31, 2020.

1. SleepySlipper

SleepySlipper Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Hello, today I purchased two LP 72 tanks for a grand total of $70.00. They both have current hydro with a plus rating, but the visual is out of date. I will attach pictures of the original stamps, and you will see that they are not of the same year or lot. IMG_1921.jpg IMG_1922.jpg

My goal is to double these tanks. The height from base to neck appears to identical, but I am worried about the diameter between the two. I do not have a tailors tape measure on hand and it is difficult to tell by eyeballing them. I have found a few old threads on these tanks, but I figured I would post in the Vintage Equipment community for the first time. I have plenty of time on my hands due to the virus lock down.

If they can be doubled up, I will be looking for bands, valves, and an isolation manifold. Any pointers would be helpful.

Dark Wolf likes this.
  2. saxman242

saxman242 Manta Ray

Grab a belt or string and wrap it around both of them. You won't know the diamater without measuring, but you can at least tell if they're the same.

txgoose and SleepySlipper like this.
  3. SleepySlipper

SleepySlipper Divemaster

Long day at work, thanks for helping my brain.

4. SleepySlipper

SleepySlipper Divemaster

Same height, same diameter. Thanks @saxman242

txgoose and saxman242 like this.
  5. Compressor

Compressor ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    What about the valves?

6. SleepySlipper

SleepySlipper Divemaster

I am unsure as to what you are asking? The valves are the same but they would need to be upgraded in order to support an isolation bar. I am unsure what brand to get...I have a set of thermo pro doubles manifolds on my LP98’s and LP108’s. They are a bit out of my price range right now for these 72’s.

I have purchased 6.9” bands and hardware from Northeast Scuba Supply, so that was an easy find.

Dark Wolf likes this.
  7. Dark Wolf

Dark Wolf Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499

Great info, thanks! I am close to putting 2 sets of 72's together. I already have one set of bands, but need one more set.

DW

SleepySlipper likes this.
  8. SleepySlipper

SleepySlipper Divemaster

Do you have any pictures of your tanks? I am not the biggest fan of all black tanks and from what I have researched, they originally came in a grey/silver color. I could be wrong on this.

9. runsongas

runsongas Great White

the black color is a vinyl coating that can be stripped. should be hot dip galvanized underneath. can do a coat of a cold galv like zrc on top if desired.

Dark Wolf and SleepySlipper like this.
  10. SleepySlipper

SleepySlipper Divemaster

Thanks for this bit of info, I will further research this process. Would this be something I should do prior to sending in the tanks for a new hydro/vis? Hydro is due this year on both.

Dark Wolf likes this.