LP-85 for doubles? Good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I was looking at the buoyancy numbers on LP-85 tank and wondering if it is the "magic twin tank set-up" I have been searching for all my life?

I like HP-100 doubles when I am in a drysuit. When I am in a wetsuit, I would rather be in AL-80 doubles to swim up in case the wing goes out on me. For the last two months, I have been looking for the tank that would be a healthy compromise between the two. It should not need tons of lead to sink in drysuit and should be easy to swim up in a wetsuit in case of a wing failure.

LP-85 is looking to be the one for the job.

Buoyancy (FULL) -3.8
Buoyancy (EMPTY) +2.3

Faber HP-100s

Buoyancy (FULL) -8.4
Buoyancy (EMPTY) - .6

If anyone has tried the LP-85 in drysuit and wetsuit, I would love to hear your thoughts. Love it? Hate it? Why?

I love my LP-85s. They are longer, which suits me because I'm tall. They can be cave filled so I get plenty of gas. When I wear them with a drysuit I do wear more lead than my 130s, but diving them in a thin wetsuit I wear little to no lead. They are quite a bit lighter than my 130s, so a nice compromise for dives needing less gas. Superior to AL-80s in my opinion, based on cave fills and buoyancy characteristics.

I used a pair of them in my cavern course, filled to 3600. I was looking for Al80s but instructor felt they were at best marginal for a cavern course and wouldn't run anything past cavern with someone using Al80s. I bought some, very nice.

LP-85 is looking to be the one for the job.

Buoyancy (FULL) -3.8
Buoyancy (EMPTY) +2.3

Those buoyancy figures don't seem quite right. I believe the Faber LP-85s are just about neutral empty. They are a bit longer than HP-100s, and they trim out nicely. If you can overfill slightly, they hold close to the same amount of gas too (or a bit more, if you can overfill more than slightly).

I don't dive at home in a wetsuit, so I can't comment there, but they are very nice tanks to dive in a drysuit.

I love 12L tanks .... depends on how full they get filled if it's worth it to you or not ...

_R

I have Faber lp85 and with the valve they are somewhere between neutral and 0.5 pounds positive when empty. I really like them.

They're as good as the 3442psi hp100s if you can get overfills to a respectable pressure.

Definitely check if you have a place where you can get "cave" fills. I believe CEA and VA Scuba will both NOT overfill them.

85s that can't be overfilled would be not even worth considering - to ME. I sold my double 100s because they were too small....

My local shop just fills them like they were Al80s, to 3100 to 3200. I don't whine, given what I'm doing that's a lot of gas. And I don't want them to look and think about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom