LP-85 for doubles? Good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to be clear for other readers, you are talking about Faber tanks, right? My Worthington/XS Scuba LP 85s are not even close to those numbers.

Just to be clear for other readers, you are talking about Faber tanks, right? My Worthington/XS Scuba LP 85s are not even close to those numbers.

Good point. Just so that I also get my own numbers right. When we talk about Faber LP 85s are they rated to 85 @ fill pressure of 2400? Or do you get 85 @ fill pressure of 2400 + 10% = 2640 PSI?

I dive double Faber LP 85s and absolutely love them.

If you can get them reasonably overfilled, even to 3k, doesn't need to be a 3.6k cave fill, they are fantastic tanks. I regularly dive them to 150/160 feet for 30-45 minute bottom time.

They are lighter than and smaller than other tanks so they are easier to handle both in and out of the water.

Interesting tidbit, filled to the same pressure LP 85s will always have more gas than HP 100s. Their internal volume is just slightly larger.

LP 85: 793 cubic inch HP 100: 787 cubic inches

Good point. Just so that I also get my own numbers right. When we talk about Faber LP 85s are they rated to 85 @ fill pressure of 2400? Or do you get 85 @ fill pressure of 2400 + 10% = 2640 PSI?

85 @ 2640.

So is it considered "over-filling" when you fill 85 to 2640? The manufacturer listed pressure is 2400.
If you don't have a "+" stamp then technically yes.

In real life who cares?

Or, get a dual bladder wing, or carry a lift bag when you want to dive wet. Then you can use any size tanks you want.

If you don't want to shell out for a dual bladder wing, and you don't feel comfortable with the buoyancy control a lift bag gives you, then suck it up and dive dry on those dives.

So is it considered "over-filling" when you fill 85 to 2640? The manufacturer listed pressure is 2400.
The + rating allows the 10% overfill from 2400. If you have a current + rating on your hydro I would not consider this an "overfill" because it's rated for that pressure. I have a pair of LP 85's that just came out of their first hydro. Make sure you ask for the + rating when it goes in and they should be able to test and re-stamp the plus rating.

Or, get a dual bladder wing, or carry a lift bag when you want to dive wet. Then you can use any size tanks you want.

If you don't want to shell out for a dual bladder wing, and you don't feel comfortable with the buoyancy control a lift bag gives you, then suck it up and dive dry on those dives.
Neither of those options are immediate enough to stop your descent when you jump off the boat and the wing inflator elbow pops off.

Drysuit = push button and arrest your descent.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom