LP Inflator Hose Routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot

Contributor
Reaction score
I was reading an older copy of ADM last night and saw a diagram of the hose routing that, I'm assuming, Curt Bowden used in 1999. The drysuit inflator came off the right post, and the bc inflator came off the left post. I've always done the crossover in the back to keep the primary bouyancy device on the primary regulator, and the secondary BCD on the secondary regulator.

Is the diagram old school and not accepted anymore?

I see the benefits of the direct routing being that if your primary reg fails and is isolated, you are breathing off the secondary, but still controlling bouyancy normally. If your secondary reg fails and is isolated, you are still breathing off the normal 2nd stage, and controlling bouyancy with the suit.

I see the drawbacks of the current cross-over system as being the need to control bouyancy with the backup and breath with the backup in a isolation incident. (In other words, doing two things differently from normal ops)

What are the benefits of the cross-over routing vs. the direct routing?

I'm going to be using a drysuit inflation bottle soon anyway, but there will be times when I won't need it. I'm currious if I can cut down on the length of my LP inflator hoses.

I was taught not to cross hoses. Also to use the BC as the main device for bouyancy so no issue.

If your primary (right hand) post is shot you would be on the way up so still a non-issue provided you can make the ascent on BC or DS.

If you wanted surely you could reverse the wing bladder to get the inflator on the right? Most wings with redundant bladder have hose either side. Just a thought.

Chris.

mempilot:
I was reading an older copy of ADM last night and saw a diagram of the hose routing that, I'm assuming, Curt Bowden used in 1999. The drysuit inflator came off the right post, and the bc inflator came off the left post. I've always done the crossover in the back to keep the primary bouyancy device on the primary regulator, and the secondary BCD on the secondary regulator.

Is the diagram old school and not accepted anymore?

I see the benefits of the direct routing being that if your primary reg fails and is isolated, you are breathing off the secondary, but still controlling bouyancy normally. If your secondary reg fails and is isolated, you are still breathing off the normal 2nd stage, and controlling bouyancy with the suit.

I see the drawbacks of the current cross-over system as being the need to control bouyancy with the backup and breath with the backup in a isolation incident. (In other words, doing two things differently from normal ops)

What are the benefits of the cross-over routing vs. the direct routing?

I'm going to be using a drysuit inflation bottle soon anyway, but there will be times when I won't need it. I'm currious if I can cut down on the length of my LP inflator hoses.

Hi Mempilot,
This question is pretty common in classes. Here's what I tell folks...
Running the wing inflate from the right post gives us an option if we are having a REALLY bad day. The roll off post is our left post and has the ability to be rolled off if contacting the ceiling in an overhead. One other thing that can happen is that the valve can be broken off as well. So, in the event that the valve is hit so hard that it rolls off and breaks off during an air share, the backup reg (necklace) is rendered useless, but the doner is still able to breath via the lp inflator on the wing by depressing the inflate and deflate simultaneously while breathing from it. Is it easy? No. Is it possible? Yes.
I have seen roll offs happen, but I have never seen a valve break off, but have heard of them happening. If you believe that Murphy is on the dive w/you, then this gives the diver an option. Whereas running the lp inflator from the left post loses this option.
Also some folks claim that it's easier to detect leaks in the hose/lp connection when the hose crosses behind the neck.
As far as controllong buoyancy, we always have oral inflation and odds of losing either reg are the same, so choosing left vs. right based on controlling bouyancy if one reg fails is really not a deciding factor since it is equally likely that either one will fail when we are shaing gas.
Just my thoughts on the subject...:)

dive safe!---b.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom