LP Quick Disconnect on Stage/Deco Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zapnyc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wondering what the general thoughts are on having a LPI hose (QD) on your stage/deco bottles. What is the DIR mentality on this as well? Potential thinking here is for closed circuit lift bag deployment when not diving a dry suit and for redundancy.

Wondering what the general thoughts are on having a LPI hose (QD) on your stage/deco bottles. What is the DIR mentality on this as well? Potential thinking here is for closed circuit lift bag deployment when not diving a dry suit and for redundancy.
No need for it.

Per my recent CCR near miss (other more significant factors at play) having a QD on a redundant o2 source would have been a good tool. Also being able to plumb extra off board gas for SCR use doesn't sound bad either.

Otherwise, if you do add lp hoses, please don't let them dangle, jam on things and catastrophically fail for no good reason. Also, have the skills sharp to use the tool if you carry it. I've seen lots worn to a hazard from being kinked and abrased and never used and it just adds another failure point.

Regards,
Cameron

Unless you dive a rebreather, I don't see the need for it. It's easy enough to shoot a bag without using an inflator hose.

As for redundancy, if you're diving wet, the only thing you'd need to inflate is your BC/wing which you should be able to do manually.

If you dive both wet and dry, I'd say just leave the inflator hose on your regs and tuck it away.

I have them on all of my stage and deco bottles. Convenient for analysis, convenient for being able to plumb in a dead inflator for redundancy on big cave dives. I just leave them all on there. I don't believe DIR allows it, and I think @PfcAJ confirmed up top. I like them, so I leave them on.

For lift bag, it would be convenient, but I wouldn't use a deco bottle for that, deco gas is usually expensive vs. backgas.

I have them on all of my stage and deco bottles. Convenient for analysis, convenient for being able to plumb in a dead inflator for redundancy on big cave dives. I just leave them all on there. I don't believe DIR allows it, and I think @PfcAJ confirmed up top. I like them, so I leave them on.

For lift bag, it would be convenient, but I wouldn't use a deco bottle for that, deco gas is usually expensive vs. backgas.
Wut

As for that's DIR, ask yourself this:

Why do I want this piece of kit? Can I do without?

You can totally do without an extra hose. Orally inflate or use your backgas inflator to blow the bag if it's a big one.

The DIR mentality is not to dive an unbalanced rig where you're depending on a bag stuffed in your pocket to stop you from sinking.

As for that's DIR, ask yourself this:

Why do I want this piece of kit? Can I do without?

You can totally do without an extra hose. Orally inflate or use your backgas inflator to blow the bag if it's a big one.

The DIR mentality is not to dive an unbalanced rig where you're depending on a bag stuffed in your pocket to stop you from sinking.

"Potential thinking here is for closed circuit lift bag deployment when not diving a dry suit and for redundancy."

Emphasis added. Do you acknowledge the value of being able to plumb offboard gas into your CCR as part of contingency planning as valid reason for why to want a QD?

Regards,
Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom