LP vs HP tanks on doubles...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rox@ucf11...

Yep...it's a "distinctive specialty." Whatever that means :confused4: Not on PADI's website, but there are a few instructors for it...

Find me an HP tank that holds in excess of 130 cuft of gas and I will, and it has been happening for years with no failures and tanks are still passing hydro's with no problem, not seeing the issue here.

Heiser 190 190cf@4400psi Wieght 87# Bouyance empty-46.86
Bouyancy full -62.3

To address the prior DOT/OSHA discussion, there are industrial gas transfer safety regulations by OSHA that also apply to SCUBA and every other high pressure gas transfer application. They are written for manufacture, transport, and transfilling of all pressurized gasses. OSHA may fine a business for violations of their safety standards in these areas. Just because they typically do not enforce these rules in non industrial settings does not mean that they do not exist. Also violation of a known standard is a liability. I doubt that your business/personal liability insurance would cover a loss if something were to go wrong and it was proven that you ignored regulations and practices standards. I would like to point out that if there is a rare "overfill" failure that causes injury - The person overfilling a specifically rated tank will carry enormous liability in the civil court system. Especially if you have disabled the burst disks, or intensionally ignored proper process/procedure.

----
I do have a problem with the mentality of "we always overfill and have not had a problem yet" attitude.

This is exactly like "I always drive 15 over the speed limit, and have not had a ticket yet".

Statistics state that given enough opportunities, the most unlikely is inevitable. Overfilling is a common practice, and modifying a known system outside its rated safety specs is a calculated risk, not something to be taken for granted.

I personally think that you should get a setup that is best for the application of use, your desired trim characteristics, weight capacity, and expected bottom time. If 120s work for you then keep using them.

I have both Faber LP95 with a "+" rating and x7 HP100 - the fabers are really heavy. I get about the same bottom time. And yes, I too get overfills - but am not cavalier about the risk.

Not trying to pick on you Superlyte but this logic has never made sense to me.

1. If you continuously overfill any tank and use up the safety margin you run a real risk of problems.

2. Why not just get the same tank with a different steel that is rated to hold the pressure? Safer way to hold the same amount of gas.

3. If your local shop wants to pump the tanks that high I don't want to be around. I know shops have been doing it for years but I see no reason to risk it when I can get the right tank and do it safely.

4. If it's as safe as everyone says why not "Try that magic" with an HP and fill that 3442 up to 5163?

Because LP95's are tried and true. I can't find a single listing for a casualty from filling one to 3600psi.

The other thing is... They were cheap and i've had them alot longer than HP tanks have been around. One more concern is they trim well, and they way a little bit less if memory serves. But really, just because I like them, they're cheap, and most of all, I trust them.

That's really all I need.

The other thing is... They were cheap and i've had them alot longer than HP tanks have been around. One more concern is they trim well, and they way a little bit less if memory serves. But really, just because I like them, they're cheap, and most of all, I trust them.

That's really all I need.

They trim just as well as same size HPs.

They weight a little more than HPs.

Can't argue with like as it is not objective.

Trust is not objective term either.

Because LP95's are tried and true. I can't find a single listing for a casualty from filling one to 3600psi.

Can you find any listing for casualty from filling HP to 3600psi?

Can you find any listing for casualty from filling HP to 3600psi?

Give it 40 years and we'll see. LP tanks have been out for decades.

Also, I don't think they make an LP tank the same weight/size as my faber. I'm checking now. **Edit** My tanks are 5 or 6lbs lighter than HP tanks of the same size.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom