LP108's for SideMount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LakeCountyDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was wondering if anyone uses LP108's for sidemount??? I now use 2 Worthington HP100's and just love them and have been looking at there 108's... I want to get larger tanks and am having a hard time deciding which ones.

Worthington 108's have similar buoyancy weights as the HP100 but I have no idea how they ride. I have no problem getting cave fills so thats not an issue either.

LP108 @ 3600PSI = 147cf of gas X 2 = Happy diver

How do these ride or what other similar large tanks do you use?

I was wondering if anyone uses LP108's for sidemount??? I now use 2 Worthington HP100's and just love them and have been looking at there 108's... I want to get larger tanks and am having a hard time deciding which ones.

Worthington 108's have similar buoyancy weights as the HP100 but I have no idea how they ride. I have no problem getting cave fills so thats not an issue either.

LP108 @ 3600PSI = 147cf of gas X 2 = Happy diver

How do these ride or what other similar large tanks do you use?

Dont personally use them but have a buddy that does, they trim out well for him but he is a larger gentleman, well over 6 feet tall. Another buddy of mine uses lp121's as well but he is also a big guy.

I've used LP108s, they rode better than HP130s for me.

Yes I am of the larger divers... 6'2'' 300lbs so they might work then.

I only use my 108s for trimix dives. They're just too big and bulky for my day to day dives. If you really like 100s, you will likely not like 108s.

I only use my 108s for trimix dives. They're just too big and bulky for my day to day dives. If you really like 100s, you will likely not like 108s.

Thanks... Is there a larger volume tank that does work well??? Well meaning by the number of students you have taught and different tanks you have used.

LP85's will only give me 115cf so it does not warrent a several hundred dollar purchase when I already have 2 100's. I have considered 95's but then what soooo.

IMO, Faber 95s are great sidemount cylinders. They are short enough that they don't start to get floaty bottoms until you get down to about 1600 psi. And you'll get 129cf out of them when pumped to 3600 psi. I would avoid the PST 95s. They're almost as heavy as Worthington 108s and difficult to manage. If you need more gas then 258cf add a stage. It will ride better than having a couple 108s in most situations.

I have used Worthington hp130s. They are big and weight 60# each out of the water. They have a full swing of 11# but I have never emtied them. I do not cave dive but SM for the shut down ability, just can't seem to reach those manifold valves on the twins.
One problem with the big heavy tanks is you are limited in what you can reach. Using these in open water one needs a lift bag, reel, and maybe a marker sausage. With a drysuit an argon bottle is nice and battery pack. the last 2 can do not need to be accessible but the others do. Pouches are handy but hard to get at with those bad boys at your side. Unclipping at the but plate with drygloves or 5 mls is not easy either.

I am becoming more convinced that SM is for warm water diving and smaller tanks. In open water deep dives SM with a back mount seems to be a good combination. Not an option for cave dives.

I sidemount Worthington LP108's and love them. Im a big guy, 6'5 300lbs. The buoyancy shift isnt all that bad and if diving in a warm climate, should be able to get away with wearing hardly any weight. I wore a whopping 8lbs my last trip to the Oriskany. They ride and trim out very nice.

Agreed. I only use my worthington 108s for mix dives with more then 30% He. Otherwise LP85's are great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom