lube for regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ripman3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Has anyone ever used krytox lube for their regulators? I saw some for 10 dollars. I was just wondering because i cant see spending 45 dollars on lube when i only have 2 regs. And dont need it but once a year when servicing them.

if you don't use them for o2, just use dow 111. Perfectly fine as long as you are staying within recreational nitrox limits. $18 for a tube that will last you forever. IIRC Krytox is PTFE, which is highly toxic, don't use that

Tribolube is PTFE grease, and I think Christolube is too. They're both non toxic and designed for scuba use. I don't know why krytex would be toxic, but I'm not familiar with the product.

they have less than Krytox, krytox does have inflammation warnings and can be seriously harmful if ingested, vs christo lube which is food safe for use in high temp ovens and what not...

I'm with tbone, Dow 111 is the way to go. It's been the standard for many many years and only fell out of favor when nitrox became popular and with no good reason, 111 is fine at lower O2 levels. The other lubes are bad for separating and drying out, I have taken very old regs apart that had 111 in them (or at least a similar silicone lube) and the lube was still in perfect shape. Per the msds sheet, it is non toxic except at high temperatures and when mixed with some pretty bad stuff...which you would never have around a reg anyway.

To the best of my knowledge Krytox is the original mil-spec lubricant for use with O2 systems in aviation. DuPont formulates it for various temp ranges from -057C to + 149C (Krytox 240AZ) to the Krytox XHT-BDX which is rated for -15 t0 +350C. The downside to Krytox is normally it is very expensive (Mil-Spec grade used in aviation is around $200 for a 2 Oz tube).
I believe the warnings for both Krytox and Christo-Lube are similar and only occur when subjected to temperatures well above the operating ranges of Scuba regulators.
From a Krytox MSDS:
‘Inhalation of fluorine containing compounds released as
decomposition products from overheated or burning product
may cause lung irritation and pulmonary edema which require
medical treatment’
From a Christo-Lube MSDS:
Decomposition products formed at high temperatures may cause "polymer fever."

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
Polymer fume fever or fluoropolymer fever, also informally called Teflon flu, is an inhalation fever caused by the fumes released when polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE, known under the trade name Teflon) is heated to between 300 °F (149 °C) and 450 °F (232 °C). When PTFE is heated above 450 °F (232 °C) the pyrolysis products are different and inhalation may cause acute lung injury.[citation needed] Symptoms are flu-like (chills, headaches and fevers) with chest tightness and mild cough. Onset occurs about 4 to 8 hours after exposure to the pyrolysis products of PTFE. A high white blood cell count may be seen and chest x-ray findings are usually minimal.
The polymer fumes are especially harmful to certain birds whose breathing, optimized for rapidity, allows toxins which are excluded by human lungs. Fumes from Teflon in very high heat are fatal to parrots,[1] as well as some other birds (PTFE Toxicosis).

PTFE is a very stable compound chemically and physically.
Highly improbable that anyone would heat his/her regulators to such a high temp.

I looked at the dow 111. I found some for 16 dollars. the Christo is 38 for 2 oz. way to much money for what I need. thanks guys for all the info. as always.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom