lube for regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Use of Krytox concern was realized when military personnel smoking cigarettes after working with it. Residue contaminated the tobacco product and these guys got sick after lighting up. IIRC it was submariners doing topside maintenance. Here's the msds on it http://www.msanet.com/prism/pdfMSDS/SDSother/SDS031.pdf

My preference is toward MCG111 and pure silicone that is food grade compatible for some applications.

Last edited:
I have a tube of Christolube 111, Tribolube 71, and Tribolube 66. I use the 66 for packing my Mk10 chambers. I notice very little difference between any of these, and I've had the same 2 oz tubes of the 111 and 71 for years. For the chambers I use most of one 2 oz syringe for three 1st stages. (That's how many I pack, the rest I don't bother) So it's not that expensive, even when packing chambers. At least that's true for me, because a packed MK5 or MK10 goes 4-5 years between rebuilds.

But, I would agree that the old silicone lube seems to hold up better over time, especially in environmental chambers. So as soon as I run out of the tribolube 66, I'll go back to silicone. I'll likely never run out of the stuff I use for o-rings. I did read in Vance's book (and he mentioned it on the thread that Couv shared) that the PTFE greases are supposed to be better lubricants all around, but I would have no way of actually determining that. There's certainly no difference in IP rise at high supply pressures in any of my balanced piston SP regs using either PTFE grease or silicone. That would presumably be caused differing friction amounts at the HP o-ring due to different lubricant qualities.

So, if you're trying to save money, go with silicone.

Are you people insane?
yes...

currently using tribolube for everything... regs & camera. bought 2 tubes and I have a lifetime supply.

Are you people insane?

Would you care to elaborate or are you just trying to raise your post count? As the ScubaPro guru on TDS I'm sure you have more to offer than asking if we are insane.

I agree with Andy. Russell should put up or shut up.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

In 1996 at a Scubapro clinic we were told to never, never, ever again use ANY silicone grease in a regulator. Ever. At the time our options were Crystolube or Krytox. (Tribolube probably wasn't out at the time.)

Dow 111 was what we had been using for cylinder neck o-rings, and we also coated valve threads with it. Gross.

I understand that there may be another grease referred to as Dow 111 that may not be as gross as the tube of crap I remember, but probably not. All I can say is there is no way I would EVER use that stuff in a reg.

I would probably lose my credentials as a Scubapro Expert Tech if I did.

In 1996 at a Scubapro clinic we were told to never, never, ever again use ANY silicone grease in a regulator. Ever.

When someone tells me to "never, never, ever again" do something that has worked fine for years, my BS meter usually spikes and I start asking questions. Did they give any reason for this? Did anyone even ask or was everyone in the clinic supposed to follow blindly. I suspect there is more of a backstory to this than they lead on. Around the time you stated mixed gasses were becoming more and more prevalent. I would suspect that they were afraid of techs using the wrong lube in O2 applications so they just eliminated the non O2 compatible one so it can't be screwed up. So I suspect it most likely came from a CYA standpoint than anything else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom