Lubrication choices...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Externet

Contributor
Reaction score
Good day.
Read somewhere 'Mobil 1' fully synthetic oil being used for air breathing compressors. Also, "medicinal mineral oil" , "food grade mineral oil" and the known commercial types Mil 6085, Chemlubes, ...
But the Mobil1 ? Comments ?

Mobil 1 is a mineral oil. Hasn't been a preferred or desirable oil choice in over 15 years.

One of the di or triester synthetic oils are vastly superior - but changing over can be problematic. What compressor do you have? what oil is in it? and how old is it?

Mobil 1 is a mineral oil.
F129012001.jpg

Yes, and the also accepted "Mobil Jet oil II" is for aircraft jet turbines, not compressors...
What precipitated this question?
1) you dont know what in those oils. Yes the AC in your filter removes most volatiles but if it can get saturated and you dont need to be exposed to unknown volatiles (which are often highly narcotic)
2) compressors run on straight oil, usually about SAE 30 weight. Multiweight oil might keep it from seizing up but that doesnt mean it will seal the 3rd stage rings properly
3) why not use the oil the compressor was designed for? all these alternatives are just as expensive as actual breathing compressor oil anyway

A company called Lube V makes all kinds of synthetic breathing air oils and will even custom blend to your specs. That is what I use in my Luchard h6 compressor in 30wt. They sell direct by the quart so no big expense. In my coenelius compressor I use Mobil jet oil 2 but when my stock runs out I will buy from Lube V as they make one specifically for the small compressors in the proper weight. I would probably not use motor oil as some of the additives may cause carbon fouling and may not be the best for breathing air.

Back
Top Bottom