Luddite going with G12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BAMA6977

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, so have done my research....I think??:confused: I can purchase G12 through PX/BX at good price and from what I read it will allow me to grow to it, with it and learn. Is it to much camera for me??

I'm tired of purchasing point and shoots....read FUJI...that my cell phone makes better photos. Will use more on dry land, than for diving.

Just how difficult is it to switch out of underwater casing to dry land and back?? OK now for the supreme newbie question....."when on live aboard dive boat do you carry own computer and download photos?? What card size would you recommend for the G12? What underwater case??

Comments from other Luddites welcome:cool2::cool2:

I have both the G10 and G12 with Canon housings. I also use my G12 on land. Both cameras take great photos. I use a slave strobe underwater.

IMO the Canon housings are not the best choice if you plan on adding wet-mount lenses due to the shape of the lens port.

The Canon (and other brand) G10, G11/G12 housings will block the lower right portion of macro photos if you get close. This is because the on-board flash cannot reach that portion of the photo. Backing away from the subject then zooming in on it helps bit a slave strobe is the solution.

The Canon S95 housing does not have as much impairment but any camera works better underwater with a slave strobe.

16 gig cards would suffice but keep in mind if you shoot RAW the files will use a lot more space.

The G12 is a great camera, but I don't think of it as a luddite camera. A speed graphic is a luddite camera, no batteries or computers necessary. The G12 will be great underwater and you can grow quite a bit with it though you will need a strobe.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom