Luggage allowance on island ferry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sskiver01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all
If this is a repost very sorry. Ok I don’t really care if they are not the best spots or anything! I travel to Thailand every year family obligations, my question is islands like Koh Tao or Phi Phi as far as I’ve been able to understand from an tour operator they only give you 23kg/50lbs check in and carry-on ? As I prefer to travel with my own gear(just my preference) I also have a small G7X mk ii and two strobes and a video light I bring! I can lug my stuff no problem but, has anyone else had this problem 23kg is nothing 30kg I could possibly do but not 23kg or am I just out of luck? I have dove other spots in Thailand I enjoy just like to mix it up and see for myself! Thanks

I went to Koh Tao last September and booked the NokAir complete package, air + bus + ferry. The ferry portion was via Lomprayah, which I've used many times before, but not in a package deal. I paid about $6 USD extra for 10kg of addition weight, so 23kg + 10kg. I actually had more, about 1-2kg. This was a problem on my return flight as they made me take 1kg out of my 2nd check-in and make it carry-on, but there was no problem with the ferry. My backpack was ~18kg + dive gear bag ~16kg.

I will note, however, that there were people who were pulled aside to have their bags weighed, prior to boarding. I would spend the little extra money to add more weight allowance and not have to worry. If you have to pay pre-boarding, it's more expensive.

Hi thanks that was the ferry Lomprayah I was talking about lol I was hoping I could just pay more for the extra weight! I asked they said no but in a message maybe they didn’t understand what I was asking. Thanks again I will give it a shot next time!

I went to Koh Tao in January 2018 with Lomprayah, and there *is* a weight limit on the ferry. On the way out, they didn't check my bag, but on the way back they did and I had to pay extra. I don't remember the amount they charged me but it wasn't enough to cause me a lot of concern. My bag was about 29 kg.

I went to Koh Tao in January 2018 with Lomprayah, and there *is* a weight limit on the ferry. On the way out, they didn't check my bag, but on the way back they did and I had to pay extra. I don't remember the amount they charged me but it wasn't enough to cause me a lot of concern. My bag was about 29 kg.
Great as long as I can bring my stuff I’m good I don’t mind paying a little extra for the comfort and convenience of my own gear! Thanks again everyone for your response!

Just before boarding, you can either hand off the bags to be placed on the deck (then covered with a tarp) or keep with you so that you can place at the front of the passenger cabin. For fragile items, keep with you for the passenger cabin and keep watch to make sure other people don't stack their bags on top.

Hmm, never heard that before.
Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom