Luggage Limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're heading to Bermuda in April on a whole family trip, all 14 of us. My wife and I are the only divers. The travel agent got us a fantastic deal on the air fare as we were a big enough party to finish filling out a charter flight.

Then latter when I asked the other shoe dropped, 44 pounds of luggage, including a carry on bag. Having never done dive travel I didn't know exactly what the gear would weigh but I figured by pirating a few pounds of space in our 2 daughters bags we'd be OK.

Well last night I got the essentials including the suggested 7mm wetsuit into a travel bag and lo and behold, 44 pounds. That's before my SMB, finger spool, lights and a few save-a-dive items. Oh yea I need clothes and a few toiletries too!

So it seems like the need is beyond mooching some space from the kids and I am searching for options. I do have the travel agent investigating extra luggage for $$. As it turns out the primary charter is a golf outing and they need capacity for their golf stuff. I lookd at what it would cost to send a few parcels back and forth via UPS and that was prohibitive.

Any suggestions from you seasoned travelers?

Thanks,
Pete

Damselfish:
well you could dive naked on #100 :)

I'm at 82 dives now. Depending on the weather here before the trip and things down there it is within the realm of posibility.eyebrow

Pete

Ya,

Usually it's a amximum of 2 bags @ 22lbs each or one bag @ 44lbs per person and if you check you will probably find out that they will allow you to take an extra bag of SCUBA gear for free. That's over and above your regular luggage.

Call the airline and ask them or look it up on their website.

Post editted after geography lesson from damselfish.

Water temps should be in the upper 60's. Hardly tropical but a tad better than our very best summer day here in Maine and without most of the thermocline. Totally comfortable for us.

I want to bring my 5mm as well for skindives and in case it's even a tad warmer than usual. Then again I respect repetetive dives too. That's 5 more pounds.

There is no airline website. I have the name written down at work but it sounds like something from a Roadrunner cartoon. "Extra Air" I think.:11:

Pete

Pete, one of the credit cards (Citibank) ships your belongings ahead as a perk. I am sure with 14 people you should be able to spread it around some, no? (pay the kids!)
You may not appreciate me saying this but tipping the skycap will usually make borderline infringements on weight disappear. I do it but I do feel a little bad about it when the plane is taking off.

Another good strategy is putting the heaviest items in the rolling carry on. If there are any kids ...get a couple cheap roller carry ons and have them lug some stuff. I never miss an opportunity to make my kids work for me!

Damselfish:
Bermuda isn't the tropics and isn't all that warm in April.
Ya learn something new everyday.:11: Thanks for geography lesson!

I just google earthed it and guess what you're right.
I always thought it was further south then it actually is.:06: I guess I better go back and edit my last post quick so I don't look any more foolish then I already feel EH! :D

Better take the 7mm

catherine96821:
Pete, one of the credit cards (Citibank) ships your belongings ahead as a perk. I am sure with 14 people you should be able to spread it around some, no? (pay the kids!)
You may not appreciate me saying this but tipping the skycap will usually make borderline infringements on weight disappear. I do it but I do feel a little bad about it when the plane is taking off.

Another good strategy is putting the heaviest items in the rolling carry on. If there are any kids ...get a couple cheap roller carry ons and have them lug some stuff. I never miss an opportunity to make my kids work for me!

Thanks Katherine, I'm already working the luggage for spending $$ with our 2 daughters and 5 neices. I'm sure that will get us somewhere but it does get messy.

I don't think I have a CitBank Card right now but I'll look into the ones we have.

I'd like some thing more sure fired than hoping I can buyoff the skycap, but it's an option. My latest info is 44LB, including the carry on so there's no free lunch is stuffing the carry ons.

Thanks for the ideas.

Pete

OH, including the carry-on. sorry missed that. yea, the smaller charters are not the planes you want to overload. whew, I would be in big trouble with my bags.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom