Luggage Protocol for Trip to Palau/Yap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubagolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are going on a two week dive trip to Palau and Yap in late March and early April. We will be on the Palau Siren the first week, and then staying at the Manta Ray Bay Hotel on Yap for the second week.

According to the United website each economy passenger gets one "free" 50# bag and the second bag is $70 for a checked bag from SF to Palau and from Yap to SF, with a $40 fee for the second bag for the short flight from Palau to Yap.

Does anyone have recent experience on United flights to Palau or Yap regarding luggage size and weight restrictions? What about carry-ons? Are they strict on the carry-on size? (14 inches x 9 inches x 22 inches or 45 linear inches per the United website?)

Thanks.

pm travelsj, seems like he is over there every other week or so. I have not been for a yr. And did fly United but things change so fast regarding luggage fees I wouldn't hazard a guess. I seem to remember that they were pretty serious about nonwheeled carryons in the overhead compartment. If yours has wheels it goes below. I think they only cared about that from Guam on but again, this stuff changes via policy and by personnel hourly. Get the nice guy and your in. Get the guy with a headache and you pay for overages.

Hi Scubagolf

2 of our team just visited Palau and flew from Manila to Koror with United. The checked baggage allowance was indeed 50lbs and they were strict on hand luggage size/weight at the Manila airport. However we cannot comment on what this will be like boarding in SF.

If you have a star alliance premium membership you will qualify for an additional checked bag free of charge. If a non-member we advise guests to call United airlines directly. Their website is not very clear on what the additional charges might be.

The Palau Siren offers Aqua Lung Equipment rental free of charge and there is a laundry service on board so you need only minimal items. There are several stores in Koror where toiletries and other personal items may be purchased if that helps to keep the luggage weight a little lower!

We wish you a fun trip in Palau and please feel free to contact our team if you have further questions,
Best wishes from the Siren Fleet

We've never had any problems with carryon luggage. We always have a wheeled bag, a large pelican case, a large camera backpack, and a gym bag. Don't go over the "legal" size or you won't be able to cram it in the overhead on the 737's out here. Even a legal bag that's overstuffed can be difficult to squeeze in.

Wife & I did Manta Ray Bay & Palau Aggressor in Oct 2010. SFO-HNL-GUM-YAP-ROR. Had the same bag limits as you described. Filled our gear bag (checked) to the limit (gear + a few clothes) then a carry-on to the limit. The "personal item" was also on the big side. Managed to fit everything we needed for 12 days. Never had our carry-on challenged, but was offered to check our carry-on at the gate on the way home due to full flights (we accepted). The only down side was lugging the carry-on thru the airports for plane changes (we used duffles because our roller carry-ons are smaller). The checked bag was weighed each time and once came up 1 lb over but was not charged.
MRB & Yap is very very casual--in the evening nice shorts and a polo/camp/aloha shirt will be dressed to the max--many had board shorts & tee's!! Ditto for the Aggressor--would expect the same on Siren. Rinsed a few items along the way and all was great!. Enjoy your diving--ours was the best so far (110 dives and counting).

United makes a reference to "sports equipment" when discussing baggage allowance, as long as the bag has only sporting gear (includes dive gear); but, I cannot figure what this means.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom