Lumens for daylight ? Tropical water.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gloum

New
Reaction score
Hello,

How many lumens should I aim for during daylight ?

No video, few photos. It s mostly to enhance colors / see better.

Going max to 60m depth.

Any model to recommand ?

Thank you !

If you're asking about a handheld flashlight for exploring during daytime, I like the UK SL4 because it has a very tight beam, and during daylight you're only going to see the beam center anyway. Not sure of lumens rating, but it's decently high for a single emitter light. It uses 4 C cells and gets good battery life, since being regulated it can draw them down farther than was common with incandescent bulbs. The SL4 L1 is a good model, and can sometimes be found for around $80. It was recently superceded by the SL4 Mk2, but I don't think there's much difference.

If you don't mind Li-ion rechargeable batteries, there are other options also having a tight beam for daytime highlighting.

Well even on daylight dives the dephs can get quite dark. Maybe a light with a 120 degree beam when you want to light up those lovely soft coral fans and a narrower beam for just looking around. I live in Taiwan and get can these quite good extremely powerful dive torches with 10 watt beams, even on day dives it's like a search light. But for taking photos or videos I switch to my Big Blue VL 4200P video lights

TG6 & BIG BLUE VL4200P.jpg

I've found that deepish dives in tropical water during the day call for really bright lights. On night dives without photos, I use the lowest setting on a light that maxes out at 1200 lumens. Even by day, in the relatively turbid waters of Southern California, too much light just highlights all the particles in the water; I'll use the brightest setting but I have to be careful with the angle when I'm shooting. But I couldn't get the blue out of my photos in Turks & Caicos until I bought a brighter light with 3800 lumens. Even then, I had to get close to stuff to really see all the color. Some of my buddies with multiple bright lights got much better photos.

Back
Top Bottom