Lumix 10 performed really well need software for some touchups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ponomo1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got back from the Grand Cayman dive trip and I'm glad t say the camera worked really well. I didn't do anything crazy with the settings (since I'm not nearly advanced enough yet). I pretty much stayed in auto the whole trip, sometimes flash off and many times with either the flash or the lights on. I really wanted to test the most basic output of the camera and overall it was really easy to use and the results were very good. I came home to do some tweaking to the photos, mainly to remove some vignetting and crop several for a better center but my Photoshop Essentials 13.1.1 does not support the rw2 format from the LX10. What are you guys using for the rw2 support?? I don't see myself signing on to the Adobe subscription service so I could spend the 150 bucks and get the Lightroom 16 if it supports the lx-10 rw2 format. Does anyone know if I may be doing something wrong in Essentials 13.1.1 that they worked around successfully? I updated the raw support file to the latest and that didn't help and I removed and reinstalled the program. I tried updating to Essentials 18 but realized it was for 64 bit only and I'm running Windows 7 32 bit. So I am hoping someone is using something solid that works well before I plunk down the money.

I had a similar problem with video format support in Premiere. Adobe is using format updates to push their subscription service, basically.

Since you're dealing with raw formats and looking for just quickie edits, you might get away with the software your camera vendor provides. In this case I think it's "Photo Fun Studio" from Panasonic. No idea if it's any good.

You might be able to use the GIMP. GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program Just like Photoshop, there's a fairly steep learning curve to get good results with it. It's free.

Another option is to find a "raw converter" and convert your raw files to a format that Lightroom will use.

Thanks @kelemvor
It is really clear that that is exactly what Adobe is forcing people into these days but as a hobby guy I can't justify in my head paying for something month after month. I'll take a look at the Panasonic product as well as GIMP. Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks @kelemvor
It is really clear that that is exactly what Adobe is forcing people into these days but as a hobby guy I can't justify in my head paying for something month after month. I'll take a look at the Panasonic product as well as GIMP. Thanks for the suggestions
I'm in the same boat. I haven't found a good solution for video editing high speed footage from my new gopro as a result. If they'd just offer the software for sale like they did previously, I'd pay for an upgrade. Paying monthly for a "service" gets my goat.

@ponomo1 I have a couple suggestions that might help.

If you want to continue to use your current version of Lightroom:
You can download the DNG Converter for free from Adobe. Then, you will need another step before you can do anything with Lightroom. Your workflow will go something like this:
Convert from rw2 to DNG
Import DNG files to Lightroom
Edit like normal
Export

If you don't mind using another program to edit:
I really like a program called Luminar for photo editing. For me, it is very intuitive. (The developers of Luminar think the same way I do about how to do things apparently.)
Luminar has one HUGE drawback right now though. It does not have any form of cataloging or "Digital Asset Management (DAM) capability yet. They are expecting to upgrade to include DAM in the near future, but its current lack of this capability may be a deal breaker for some.

As for me, I have an ancient computer (a 2009 iMac), so I am kinda hamstrung by it, but I have Sony cameras and I do my importing and culling in Capture One Express for Sony (It was a free download but only for Sony cameras so it wouldn't help you.) and then I do my editing in Luminar.

According to this website - Photoshop Elements 2018 can edit rw2 file types - if so it's a standalone product sold for$69 https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Prod...VmNdkCh0EjAkwEAkYAiABEgLeafD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

or Paint Shop Pro which is also $69 but I think it's an older program,
Photo-editing software – Corel PaintShop Pro X7

Paintshop has a free trial so you can see if it works.

The link also mentions Canvas but it's $599.

I quit using Adobe products when they went subscription based.

hth,

I forgot about paint shop pro. That's a really great program in my opinion. I haven't used it in about 6 years - since I ponied up and bought adobe creative suite. The X7 version is outdated I think. The current version appears to be "PaintShop Pro 2018 Ultimate". PaintShop Pro 2018 | Get Your Free Trial

I didn't recall PSP having RAW file support, although as I said it has been a long time.

I have CS2 also - IIRC it was the last one you could buy from Adobe b4 they went to subscription based.

I still see older versions on ebay occasionally - new in the box. Not sure how registerable they are though.

I have CS2 also - IIRC it was the last one you could buy from Adobe b4 they went to subscription based.

I still see older versions on ebay occasionally - new in the box. Not sure how registerable they are though.
Do you mean CS6? AFAIK the only things desirable about the new subscription based stuff are support for newer digital negative file formats and some rather cool stuff Adobe did with their audio processing tools where you can simulate anyone's voice very convincingly using only a brief audio clip to train the software...

So if you're into audio, there's actual features to make you want to buy the new stuff. If you're into stills or video images, it's just a screw job on the file format support. Pity.

@Hoag and @diversteve
Appreciate the info on the software and the various steps that can be used to work on the photos. It just stinks that the developers of the cameras that create these unique algorithm's that record the photo data don't also put out matching software that supports the photo adjusting and editing like they used to. I remember getting my camera many years ago with a disk that wasn't necessarily the greatest program, but it got you started playing around and doing basic adjustments to color and sizing and a few other things. But now in this "service" economy where everything revolves around generating "recurring" revenues these big companies are cornering the markets by buying up and consolidating many of these little companies that you need to subscribe to something. I'm going to try out a few of the things that everyone is suggesting and see what works best. Otherwise I'll just update my desktop to 64 bit and buy and older version of the lightroom software and live without the ongoing support or updates from Adobe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom