LUMIX LX10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just purchased the LX10 and was looking for any tips/tricks to shoot with? In a Nauticam housing with S2000 stones.

Just pulled the trigger myself. After watching the related Backscatter video I'd like to get an actual users take on the praised quick white balance adjustment and the shooting modes folks are using. I'd also like to know if anyone is using the 4K burst mode for fast moving objects underwater.

I'm headed to the Red Sea in November so I hope some actual users chime in to our questions soon:).

Last edited:
I picked up the LX10 a month ago, my Nauticam housing arrived a few days ago, awesome little camera so far, although it hasn't been underwater yet. If anybody finds Cinelike D useful, it can be added to this camera despite Panasonic leaving it out of the camera.

I just received this from Backscatter. Here is their list of recommended settings:

For Stills:

Mode dial: Manual
Aperture: F8
Shutter: 1/125 (depending on subject and conditions, 1/125 is a good starting place)
ISO: AUTO
White Balance: AUTO
Picture size:RAW
Aspect Ratio: 3:2
AF Mode: Pin Point
AFS/AFF/AFC: AFS

For Video:

Mode dial: Movie Mode (with manual exposure set in the motion picture menu)
Aperture: F8
Shutter: 1/60 (for a frame rate of 30p)
ISO: AUTO
White Balance: Set Manually through the white balance menu
Record Quality: 4K 30p 100M

To Set the Fn1 button:
Menu> Wrench with the C> Setting in REC mode> Fn1> AF-ON

You will also want to remove AF from the half press of the shutter:
Menu> Wrench with the C> Shutter AF> OFF

About to pull the trigger on this camera in a Nauticam. First underwater rig, coming from a GoPro. Anyone with any further insight or reviews? Anyone using in Nauticam housing with a WWL-1 or CMC-1? Non-diving related reviews on YouTube site some autofocus problems, wondering if anyone has experienced them in the water. Generally wondering if people are satisfied. Backscatter making comparisons to the GH5 for video is a pretty tall order...

I'm diving with this rig for the first time as we speak in the Red Sea and I too came from a GoPro. I'll start by saying I shoot almost exclusively stills so I'm no help from a video perspective.

I didn't have much luck with the settings provided by Backscatter however AUTO mode did work well. I played with the camera as much as possible before the trip however everything that worked above water didn't work well below. Adapting to the new rig while trying to enjoy the diving was challenging however I was glad I familiarized myself with the controls in advance.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but with some practice I'm sure the rig will delivery great results. FYI, the build quality of both the Nauticam house and LX10 is excellent.

I have the LX10/Nauticam but haven't really had the chance to use it yet. I had the panasonic GX85 for about a year which has almost identical video specs. Here is a video I put together from it in 4K. Almost all of the footage is with the Olympus 14-150 f4-5.6. The LX10 should offer better DOF:
The scuba footage is filmed on my GoPro in HD, which is why I upgraded.

The minimum focusing distance is about 1 cm at the wide end in video mode, you don't need to switch to macro focusing mode for that either.

Last edited:
@drhappy good to hear you’re out diving with this rig. Let us know how it turns out and share some shots.

@Scubanoobi
Really nice video! You might be the perfect person to weigh in on what I’m trying to decide. LX10 or GX85. Both are a similar price, though the GX85 is a micro 4/3 with a bigger sensor and I’m assuming better image and vid quality. After a ton of reading and research I settled on the LX10 to build an underwater rig around because it’s cheaper and simpler than building one around the GX85. No need for lenses, different ports, focus gears... plus the Nauticam LX10 housing pro package with Flexitray, vacuum check, ball mounts, shutter trigger extension all goes for $1250. To do that same setup for the GX85 would be around $2000. So LX10 it was. I knew that for optics I wanted the Nauticam WWL-1 for wide angle and the CMC-1 for macro, also for the sake of simplicity, though they are both expensive. I found on eBay a WWL-1 with Bayonet mount and buoyancy collar for $700, no tax free shipping. That’s $500 off retail so I jumped on it. The guy also threw in a Nauticam n85 power zoom macro port 29, an Olympus M.Zuiko 14-42 f3.5-5.6 lens and the corresponding focus gear (all compatable with the WWL-1 according to Nauticam’s chart), two 8 inch arms, two clamps, and some other odds and ends free! So now I have all those additional parts that i didn’t want to buy before and that steered me toward the LX10... and I’m struggling again. If the GX85 delivers noticeably better video (with its 5 axis image stabilization and larger sensor) then I could justify the additional cost of housing it in a Nauticam, given that I now have a lens and the port and focus gear already. I’m headed out on a 12 day liveaboard to Lembeh, Halmahera, and Raja Ampat Indonesia on Jan 31 so I need to decide, buy and practice very soon. Does the GX85 video top the LX10? particularly in low light, and does the GX85 have the same white balance capabilities?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom