LUMIX LX10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the only noticeable difference I've found is that the stabilization is slightly better on the GX85 due to the IBIS, but it's not huge. Coming from a GoPro with no stabilization, I'm happy with the LX10. I generally shoot wide open so the LX10 compared to the 14-42 will have a much lower ISO so it kind of eliminates the sensor size advantage for me over the m43 sensor.

White balance should be identical or very similar, which is supposed to be good. I've mapped the back dial to white balance and within 1 turn and 2 button pushes I can set a custom white balance.

The LX10 documentation states that there is certain stabilization that isn't available in 4k, in my testing, I haven't found any difference between 4k and 1080. I'm more than happy with the 4k stabilization.

If you're shooting 4k, just note that the widest you will get is 36mm, in 1080, it's 27mm. the 14-42 will end up being 31mm on the GX85.

I picked the LX10 / Nauticam pro package due to the price, size and less complex system. Currently I can pack full scuba gear (minus fins), 7 days clothes and my nauticam rig in my carry-on. I would not be able to do that with the GX85.

I'm shooting Cinelike D on my LX10 (and GX85) and the video I get from both cameras is almost identical, I can't tell any difference.

Both cameras are great, pick the LX10 if you want a cheaper package or smaller size. Video is identical with the edge going to the GX85 due to the slightly better IBIS. If you're shooting with the tray/handles, much of the stabilization advantages go away.

I hope that helps.

That helps so much. Awesome to find someone with experience with both cameras I was looking at. Really appreciate the input. Think I’ll go LX10 and hang on to those extra free parts i got for a future upgrade. LX10 is probably a better choice for my skill level as well, and I will jump into the mirrorless world in a few years after I’ve mastered the compact. Maybe some good used GH5 rigs will be around by then...

Nice video Scubanoobi, Thanks for sharing. I have started to look at this camera and mooving over from the Sony world, largely as I like where Panasonic is going with focus stacking/bracketing. But I must say the limited selection of housings causes me to pause.

@drhappy or @RDRINK25
any pics from the LX-10 yet?? I'm a few weeks from pulling the trigger and picking one up and I'd love to see some photo's from someone who just started using it before I make the investment. I was going to go TG-5 due to some really good results from a TG-3 rental that I used a few weeks ago, but I came back to the LX-10 for the advanced features.

So, I ordered the lx10 and Nauticam housing from backscatter... I played with the camera for a couple weeks and honestly.... hated it. It has some serious focus Hunting issues. It’s constantly pulsing in and out, losing focus and trying to get it back. If you’re getting it for video, I would not recommend (even tho backscatter says it’s great for video, this was not my experience.) I will say that I am a bit biased to Sony. I bought an rx100II when it came out years back and and still love that camera. I never took the lx10 underwater because I knew I didn’t like it and decided to return it. I wanted a camera that would also suit my topside video needs, and it wasn’t it. I got an rx100V with Nauticam instead. I just did a 12 day liveaboard from Lembeh to Halmahera to Raja Ampat and loved shooting both stills and vid with the RX. You could argue that the lx10 has a better control set for underwater, and I’d agree that it definitely does, But it’s video is sub par to the Sony. It’s not as sharp, deep or rich, and the sony’s AF is in a different category. Much, much better. When I downloaded test video from both cameras into my Mac and put them side by side, Sony was the clear winner. So I know that the RX100v is $300 more, but if you’re putting a rig together around these types of cameras, you may end up somewhere in the ~$5000 range after camera, housing, wide angle lens, macro lens, lights, hardware and all accessories. In that case, $300 is not a significant difference for a far superior camera. I will say that Sony’s underwater white balance is not the best, altho with the recent firmware update that adds underwater auto WB, along with a little touch up in final cut, I am completely happy with my colors. I am in the process of editing my trip video now and will post a link here. Mind you this is my first time shooting all manual controls underwater, first time editing in final cut. There are so many shots I wish I could do over, where I was not using optimal settings, or sometimes the wrong ones altogether ...I am by no means an expert. There is a huge learning curve to getting good underwater footage out of the RX, but to me that’s part of the appeal, challenge and fun. I noticed a vast improvement from the beginning of the trip to the end. Altho I have a strong opinion here, it’s just that... an opinion. Perhaps take my advice with a grain of salt. Get the LX10 and try it out, just make sure you can return it. Mine also made extremely loud noises (like a grinding) that could be heard in all videos, and the build quality just felt sub par to me. No system will be perfect tho. The lx has some advantages over the Sony but I believe the Sony is ultimately better quality, footage looks much better, AF isn’t even a comparison. I had read a lot about overheating issues with the RX and was concerned about it, but it never overheated on me. It showed the warning a couple times when I ran long on a clip, but never shut down and I never missed anything due to thermal issues. I will say that Sony menues are cumbersome if you’re not used to them, and that problem is multiplied ten fold when in a housing and underwater. I found it quite useful to save sets of custom setting and then use memory recall and make slight adjustments from there. Also the addition of a wide angle and macro lens (I got the Fantasea UWL-09f, and the Nauticam CMC) is essential for these cameras in my opinion. Sorry for my random unorganized thoughts, in a hurry right now but wanted to post, since I was desperate for any info/opinions when I was making my decision. Best of luck.

Here's a few shot's from Cozumel and he Red Sea. I have a lot to learn....

Eal2.jpg
fIFH.jpg
fish.jpg
fish2.jpg
Fish3.jpg
Fish4.jpg

A_1020637-Edit.jpg
A_1020646-Edit.jpg
B_1020294.jpg
B_1020408.jpg

@Bcz151
Thank you for the detailed info on your experience with the camera. You've given me a lot to think about again, I'm glad I'm still a few weeks away.

@drhappy
The photos look great for a beginner with the new camera, I'm sure you were seeing improvements as the trip went on. Did you experience any of the issues that BCZ151 posted above such as the hunting for focus or the grinding noises? I'd like to know if its an issue with all of the cameras or an isolated issue with hardware/software.

Fun video comparo of LX10 and RX100v, with some good and bad points of each:

I followed Backscatters recommendations and set-up one of the "back buttons" for quick focusing which worked well most of the time. Prior to both dive trips (Coz & Red Sea) I shot a ton of images however there's nothing like stick time underwater.

I'm looking forward to learning and fine tuning during a hands on seminar @ Beneath the Sea in March. With todays technology I'm sure you'll be fine with what ever you pick.

Back
Top Bottom