Luna transmitter battery question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LowDrag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all...I heard from a fellow diver that if we leave our Luna transmitter on our first stage it will keep the transmitter on and drain the battery. Can anyone tell me the reality on this question please?

Thanks.
LowDrag

My first Luna transmitter battery lasted hundreds of dives (over 300) before I changed it for a trip - wasn't even sure it was low. The current battery has even more dives on it. I never took it off the 1st stage when not in use...I think (know?) your fellow diver is mistaken or misinformed.

That is covered in your luna manual and what that fellow diver told you is not accurate. If the pressure does not change after some amount of time (I think it's 30 seconds) the transmitter shuts down to save battery life. That's why you have to breathe for a few seconds or use the purge to get it transmitting again when you connect a fresh tank. Consult your manual or look at this one online if you lost the manual.

That said, my transmitter batteries last nowhere near 300 dives. I even sent mine off to scubapro to investigate and they found no problems. I change my transmitter battery around every 30-50 dives in order to avoid the warning that signal is lost. As long as I keep fresh batteries (they cost around $10) in the transmitter i have no problems at all with hoseless AI.

---------- Post added June 6th, 2015 at 11:28 PM ----------

I looked it up for you when I had some spare time. Transmitter info is on pp13-15 of the manual I linked above. Here are the details about the timeout:

The Smart transmitter has a range
of approximately 1.5m/5ft.
- To maximize the life of the battery,
the transmitter turns itself off when
there is no pressure change for
more than 40 seconds. It also
turns itself off when the pressure is
14bar/200psi or less.
- If a transmitter battery is weak,
Galileo alerts you with a screen
message referencing the tank
designation assigned to the
transmitter in question.

When the Luna transmitter is left idle, (no gas exchange), for more than forty seconds, the transmitter will go to sleep until gas is exchanged in the first stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom