lung volume buoyancy control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and I did a thred on it. However, when you say you were bouncing between the surface and bottom, you need to be aware that you can get bent doing that. So no, I wouldn't have been amused.

Some people think that because it's just 15 ft, it's no big deal. Good friend of mine was diving with a friend and they were never diving deeper than 12 ft. This guy was having buoyancy problems and kept shooting to the surface, but thought, "Hey, it's just 12 feet."

Later, on the boat, complained of neck pain, at which time it was noticed he had palpable air pockets. He got the helicopter ride to the chamber. Just be careful.

Yes, do be careful of bouncing at that depth, their is quite a bit going on in that ascent.

I have heard that many accidents start with someone losing their mask. The flux of cold water, losing vision, then the big deep breath for stress, you lose buoyancy/trim, start to ascend very quick, adding to stress, etc.

You can see where it goes from there.
This is a big skill to learn, practice. You are on the right track, do not practice while kneeling on a surface. You will rarely lose your mask while kneeling. For that matter, all your skills should be practiced at that depth, without kneeling, i.e. sharing air, etc.

Is that taught in the Padi peak performance class?

Tommy

Is that taught in the Padi peak performance class?

You mean the maskless fin pivot?

I'd like to thank everyone for the useful info.

Tampascott - yeah - I know that the bouncing can cause the bends. Luckily I wasn't ascending extremely quickly. It just seemed like I was overshooting the air addition to my BC by just a little bit. Then I'd realize I'd added too much and dump most of it. I probably overstated how bad I was sawtoothing. Anyway, I hopefully won't have that problem anymore. My last dive gave in a lot more confidence in that respect.

I'm going to try during my AOW (this weekend) to practice some of the skills, esp mask flood, when I'm horizontal and not on a platform. I'll see how that goes. I think I also need to find a more featureful bottom and more vis.
Just got off the phone with Ms. Cleo's psychic hotline, and she says a trip to Lake Wazee is in my future :)

keep in mind that a thick neoprene suit will need considerable amount of weight on the surface for you to to float with your eyes out of the water while holding your breath and once at depth the suit does not make the same difference and you will be more then likely have more weight then you would normally need at depth with a thiner suit

Water is a great way to get rid of the fog. It doesn't take flooding the whole mask though. Just raise the skirt a little to let some water seep in, look down and swish the water around. Oh and if no one has mentioned. Spit is an excellent anti-fog.

Greg: I figured you knew, but just wanted to mention it in case you were unaware of shallow water dangers. I did a grotto dive with a new diver. As we were slowly ascending, we got to 10 feet, where I plan to take my recommended 3 minute safey stop. Well this guy inflates his BCD and intentionally shoots to the surface, like he has completed his dive. He thought he was close enough. He was fine, but I asked him not to do that again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom