Lx3 river underwater photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

very nice

Hi,
Thanks for the comments.
I have the 10Bar Underwater housing. I also used the 5" 10Bar dome port combined with a panasonic WA lens. All photos are at 18mm without flash lights. I also have the original Panasonic WA lens, but found the Sony one better under water.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask

Last edited:
Those are some fantastic shots. I'm currently shooting with the LX3 in the 10bar housing and a Inon WAL-100. I've thought about getting the Inon dome to go even wider. But your shots may sway me in another direction.

For clarification, which WAL were these taken with? You initially mentioned the Panasonic but then said you like the Sony better. So the Sony is compatible with the LX3? Model #? Also, where did you get the 10bar dome from? I'm not aware of a US distributor (yes, I see you're not in the US). Sorry for all the questions. I'm going to Indonesia in a couple of months and then back to PI at the end of the year and want to maximize my potential. :)

Hi

Those are some fantastic shots. I'm currently shooting with the LX3 in the 10bar housing and a Inon WAL-100. I've thought about getting the Inon dome to go even wider. But your shots may sway me in another direction.

For clarification, which WAL were these taken with? You initially mentioned the Panasonic but then said you like the Sony better. So the Sony is compatible with the LX3? Model #? Also, where did you get the 10bar dome from? I'm not aware of a US distributor (yes, I see you're not in the US). Sorry for all the questions. I'm going to Indonesia in a couple of months and then back to PI at the end of the year and want to maximize my potential. :)

The Inon WAL-100 with it's Dome is a wet solution, you still have water between the flat port and the WA lens. 10Bar has a similar solution, but i don't know haw it performs.
The 10Bar dome, is a dry solution, the same as we can see with DSLR housings, it's also a good investment because you can use it later with the 10bar GF1 housing for the Panasonic 8mm fisheye lens or with The 10Bar DSLR housings.

I have the Sony VLC-D0746 lens, it's not expensive, but larger and heavier then the Panasonic DMW-LW46. It's a coincidence that i used it, i bought it for use on land, but i was disappointed with the IQ it produces, then i bought the Panasonic lens, it's excellent on land but produces soft images on the corner under water, then i tested the sony and was surprised with the IQ when used underwater. To understand why this can occur you should read this: Marine Themes. Dome Spacer Theory.

To see how does the 2 WA lenses perform on land (i posted this on Dpreview.com) : LX3 WA conversion lens: a comparison test.: Panasonic Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
The Sony lens can perform better on land with a longer adapter tube : Sony lens + UV filter: a surprise!: Panasonic Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Here is a screenshot (in Aperture) that shows how wider one can go:
1- Flat dome: 24mm x1.35= 32mm / 2- With dome port: 24mm
1- With dome port & WA lens: 24mm x .75= 18mm / 2- Same half air half Water
bildschirmfotoo.png

Notice, you never have vignetting, you don't need to zoom because of this and you don't have luminosity lost like with wet WA lenses.

My Housing and the dome port:
bildschirmfoto20100510uy.png

The dome port in parts:
bildschirmfoto20100510u.png

Something very useful: how to insert your Lx3 easily in the housing:
mg2559dm3.jpg

I bought my dome in Germany, you can get it in the USA here: 10Bar Wide Angle Dome Port for LX3 M104-125FD - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

Hope this will help

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, shaker.

Have you tested the combination of the L4A tube and 6.5mm filter uw as well? Or are you satisfied with the IQ of just the L4A and Sony lens?

Just ordered the dome from Jack. Can't wait to get it wet.

There's several flavors of domes for the 10Bar LX3 (and I assume the LX5 will be the same).

The older style, shown above uses a port base and relies on the Panasonic (or 3rd party) wide angle lens and a tube that screws into the camera, after you remove a ring around the lens.

You unscrew the lens, then screw in the tube. Mount the camera in the housing after changing out the standard port for the port base. Then screw in the wide angle lens, then the dome. whew. You have to disassemble most of it to get the camera back out to change batteries or card. You cannot use it without the dome. The quality, as shown above, is quite good.

10Bar came up with a better solution, and that is a Wide Angle Converter Port. All you do is exchange it for the standard port. Then you can add the 104mm to 125DZ dome to the converter port. While a bit more expensive, it has very good quality and is easier to deal with, as you don't have to disassemble the port and lens off the camera to take it out of the housing. You can use the converter port without the dome, but you won't be able to focus as close, nor get as sharp a corner.

LX3_port+dome.a.jpg

This shows both parts assembled. I have this available as a package slightly cheaper than the two parts.

The same system is available for the 10Bar G11 with a slightly different converter port.

Also the dome above is NOT the same mount as the one for the 8mm FE for the GF-1, GH-1, E-PL1. It has a M77 mount (M77x125DZ).

ALL of the above are DRY solutions. I think they are better than adding a wet lens, but you are locked into it while diving.

If you want the other assembly that the OP used, I can special order it.

Jack

(Max I wrote you, but sent your order when I didn't hear back - contact me).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom