LX5 10bar housing + dome port question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Jack,

I also got a LX5 a couple of weeks ago and I'm seriously considering to get the housing. I have a doubt concerning the w/a adapter. is this w/a lens port act as a corrector for the refraction index into the water or is it just a port to fit Panasonic's w/a converter inside?
Could you also please explain in a few words (if possible) what the advantages of adding the dome port would be? pls forgive my ignorance on the topic.

I might drop you a dedicated email on your website anyway.

Cheers!

Luis

OK, so I have received everything, 10bar housing as well as the M67 AD adaptor. I can confirm with that adaptor the Inon UCL 165AD wet lens cannot be mounted as the lens is sticking too far out and hits the glass of the housing before you can click it in. Not sure what my solution to this is and I can resolve this maybe with some spacers or not. I might have to dive without a dome for the time being. The red filter however screws in nicely.

Anyone might have an idea regarding the wet lens and if spacers would work?

@Jack, thanks again for the good service I have received.

Hi holger
OK, so I have received everything, 10bar housing as well as the M67 AD adaptor. I can confirm with that adaptor the Inon UCL 165AD wet lens cannot be mounted as the lens is sticking too far out and hits the glass of the housing before you can click it in. Not sure what my solution to this is and I can resolve this maybe with some spacers or not. I might have to dive without a dome for the time being. The red filter however screws in nicely.

Anyone might have an idea regarding the wet lens and if spacers would work?

@Jack, thanks again for the good service I have received.

The spacer must be as thin as possible, try to mount the lens very close to the port to prevent vignetting. I don't know if such a spacer exists, but you can use a cheap 67mm UV filter and intercalate the metal ring (after removing the glass filter) between the port and the AD adapter.
Hope this helps.

These adapters have been an issue, they work on some lenses and not on others. I think he tries to make them as thin as possible.
---

Luis; I did write you already, but for the others, the w/a port can be used without the dome, but the dome allows much closer focus and sharper corners.

Jack

Hi to all,
I received the 10Bar Housing for the LX5 and I have found it fantastic except for the rear dial that control the toothed wheel gear to change aperture or shutter speed on the LX5.
The problem is that the head of the rear dial is smooth inside and it doesn't grasp on the internal toothed gear wheel of the LX5.
I have tried to put on the smooth head of the rear dial of the housing a piece of velcro used to connect the Fiber optic cable of my strobe to improve the grip (see pictures).
I hope this will work.
Scipionems.
striscia velcro adesivo.jpg

velcrino adesivo tondo.jpg

e of my strobe to improve the grip (see pictures).
I hope this will work.
Scipionems.
View attachment 85351

View attachment 85350

I'm not sure you will need this. Under pressure, the back cover will move about half a millimeter against the housing, this will improve the friction between the 2 wheels.
Have you asked 10Bar about it? If not, you should do it they have a good support.

Keep us posted. I am meeting with the owner of 10Bar and can bring it up. But I agree with Shaker...controls on nearly all housings will be loose or hard to work above water. They are adjusted for being under pressure, if they make them too tight they will damage the camera.

Jack

You are right, i have not took in consideration the pressure.
I received the housing only 6 days ago, and I have not used it underwater yet.
The next week I will be able to use it underwater and I will try the housing as it is.
Thank you, for your suggestion about the pressure :) .
Scipionems

Hi to all,
here Filippine 2010 selezione you can see some pictures made in Philippines with panasonic lx5 in 10Bar Housing with two Inon strobe D2000 and a Inon Macro lens UCL 165.
The housing very very good.
The only problem was the smooth rear dial, but i solved the problem with a piece of Anti-slip tape.
Scipionems

hi Scipionems

great set of pictures, way better than my first attempt. I need to try the anti slip tape as I could not use the rear dial at all to se full Manual.

Thanks for sharing.
Holg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom