LX5 10bar housing + TTL Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slow hands, I keep trying to say this clearly.

That is a wet lens. It fastens on to a flat port. You cannot get decent IQ by trying to get images through with a 24mm equiv FOV lens behind a flat port. Nothing you do in front of the flat port will fix the fact that the light gets blurred and lots of chromatic aberration added going through a flat port at those angles.

Even using 28mm through a flat port is marginal. No way will 24mm work, with sharp corners.

If we want to use the 24mm end of this camera, it must be through a dome. Otherwise, we can just zoom in to 28mm, and then why bother with this camera?

Here are some samples, to illustrate:

wide angle wet lens for 24mm - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums

Hope this helps.

I don't think there is any question that a wide angle lens, under a dome will be wider than thru a flat port. What is not so clear is how much wide angle is enough.

For the most part, if one wants to do wide angle images, an interchangeable lens camera will do a better job. And with the advent of the evil camera's, the price to do so has come way down... ok, still silly expensive, but far better than it used to be.

However, if on is just doing an occasional wide angle, or one does not need really wide angle....then a flat port with the LX-5, shooting 16 x 9 and processing with any software other than silky pix is reasonable...roughly what anyone would get putting a 28mm lens under a dome.

And corner softness with wide angle lens is a very normal thing... something I suspect would happen even if the lens is under a dome, unless the dome is made to exactly match the 24mm curve.

They typically don't make domes for the high end point and shoots because they usually come with a 28mm... the odd man out in this is the LX-5....but it is all by itself in that regard.

i have the Pany 7-14mm zoom, and the 7mm (14mm equiv) is silly wide. Great to get that passing whale shark, but everything else looks really, really tiny, including people. And unless the water is clear of chucky stuff, lighting an image with that wide of an angle almost guarantees backscatter.

Note: Although, in clear water, with a huge animal, it is very impressive.

While I have several wide angle wet lens, they don't get used that often in the conditions I dive in, but the LX -5, at 24mm does get used.

Hi

I had the same problem with the SUBTRINIC FUSION strobe, it's compatible with the LX5 but have to send my housing to Subtronic or my dealer to adapt it to the WK OEM-Converter. I finally decided for the Inon Z-240, it doesen't have video light but at least I know it will function.

Did Inon Z-240 worked on wired TTL with LX5 properly? If so, did You buy any additional equipment for 10bar housing? I am going to buy 10bar housing for GF2 with Z-240 and I wonder if this won't cause any trouble on wired TTL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom