Lynx ultrasonic capabilities and Desert Star sonic trackers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sander8

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The Lynx uses ultrasonic waves for its location, text messaging and for tank to computer communication. Are these ultrasonic signals compatible with, or different from the ultrasonic frequencies or coding used by the Desert Star Scout or Sport Dive trackers or other Desert Star systems? I have a Sport system and I also know of boats in California that routinely hang a Desert Star transmitter for use by divers equipped with receivers. My question is whether the two systems are compatible, or, more important, do they interfere with each other? A diver with a Lynx would not want to find that a nearby Desert Star system interferes, for example? I ask this question because I am interested in purchasing a Lynx computer but also have a Desert Star dive tracker. Thanks.

The Lynx uses ultrasonic waves for its location, text messaging and for tank to computer communication. Are these ultrasonic signals compatible with, or different from the ultrasonic frequencies or coding used by the Desert Star Scout or Sport Dive trackers or other Desert Star systems? I have a Sport system and I also know of boats in California that routinely hang a Desert Star transmitter for use by divers equipped with receivers. My question is whether the two systems are compatible, or, more important, do they interfere with each other? A diver with a Lynx would not want to find that a nearby Desert Star system interferes, for example? I ask this question because I am interested in purchasing a Lynx computer but also have a Desert Star dive tracker. Thanks.

To answer your question I checked the Desert Star specs but there is not enough information there to figure out how well the two systems would work. Certainly the signals are not compatible. The question of interference is legitimate, if the sport uses a pulse system then the systems should be fine, but it also depends on how often it transmits.

Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom