M1 Grease leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikadoWu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All,

A buddy of mine purchased a Sealed M1 and M1 Octo off EBay last week. It was great price, but like all, one to question. He used on our Spring dive this weekend and it performed with out flaw for 90 minutes, but on a max depth of 28feet. As we where putting the gear in the car, we noticed some grease had come out from the Environmental Boot.

Does he just need to have the unit rebuilt or is it possible the 1st is plain bad?

Thanks,

Neither one. If it was recently rebuilt, it will spooge a little white grease the first time you use it. I solve this by wiping the grease out of the boot and off of the regulator, but some techs don't know that. Check the intermediate pressure (140 + 5 PSI) and if it's steady, wipe off the grease and have a great day. If it's way off 140 PSI, it needs the spring shimmed , or unshimmed. If it creeps up, it needs a new seat. But usually if it's creeping, it will free flow.

Neither one. If it was recently rebuilt, it will spooge a little white grease the first time you use it. I solve this by wiping the grease out of the boot and off of the regulator, but some techs don't know that. Check the intermediate pressure (140 + 5 PSI) and if it's steady, wipe off the grease and have a great day. If it's way off 140 PSI, it needs the spring shimmed , or unshimmed. If it creeps up, it needs a new seat. But usually if it's creeping, it will free flow.

Thank you for the info Wookie, I got a picture of it, no idea how to upload it here. Should I just have him take it to a shop?

I think every diver should have the knowledge to do simple adjustments on their gear, which includes checking the IP. An IP gage is not expensive, DGX has one for $8.95, and it would go in your tool box alongside your o-ring kit and spare fin strap. An IP check will let you know if it needs to see a technician or not, whether at home in Florida or on a $5,000 a week liveaboard. If you do choose to take it to a shop, ask the technician to let your friend watch, as (as I said), everyone should be able to do basic maintenance.

To second what Frank said, perfectly normal except that the white stuff is not grease but Christolube or similar. Grease is an oil or fat based matter.

Seeing the lube leak out tells me though is that the tech may not have cycled the reg much. Get an IP gauge and a six back of beer and head down to your local shop and ask the tech to show you how to do some simple checks.

To second what Frank said, perfectly normal except that the white stuff is not grease but Christolube or similar. Grease is an oil or fat based matter.

Seeing the lube leak out tells me though is that the tech may not have cycled the reg much. Get an IP gauge and a six back of beer and head down to your local shop and ask the tech to show you how to do some simple checks.

Or you can drink the beer and get your qustions answered here.

Or you can drink the beer and get your qustions answered here.
It's nice if you don't know anything to have someone walk you through it the first time.

I think every diver should have the knowledge to do simple adjustments on their gear, which includes checking the IP. An IP gage is not expensive, DGX has one for $8.95, and it would go in your tool box alongside your o-ring kit and spare fin strap. An IP check will let you know if it needs to see a technician or not, whether at home in Florida or on a $5,000 a week liveaboard. If you do choose to take it to a shop, ask the technician to let your friend watch, as (as I said), everyone should be able to do basic maintenance.

Thank you both for the information. I am still warming up to a new dive shop, so not sure if he will let me hover over yet, but I will try.

I looked at the IP Gauges, would it be better to get the IP Gauge/adjustment tool version?

I looked at the IP Gauges, would it be better to get the IP Gauge/adjustment tool version?

Only if you plan to go into the reg service business. Separate gauge is fine. No need for anything expensive.

Only if you plan to go into the reg service business. Separate gauge is fine. No need for anything expensive.
+1. I have the adjustment tool. Unless you need to adjust regulators, you don't need it. I rebuild 10 regulators a day.

And if you live in Key West, bring good beer and we'll give you the equipment specialty course. You'll learn all you need to know to make minor adjustments and WHEN YOU CAN'T.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom