M1 Grease leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or you could just wipe the gizz off with a rag and keep diving it. The tech just got a bit overzealous and injected too much $100 an ounce gizz.

As long as it works correctly, problem solved.

Last edited:
+1. I have the adjustment tool. Unless you need to adjust regulators, you don't need it. I rebuild 10 regulators a day.

And if you live in Key West, bring good beer and we'll give you the equipment specialty course. You'll learn all you need to know to make minor adjustments and WHEN YOU CAN'T.

You can still make adjustment without the inline tool. It just takes more time, and keep discounting and reconnect LP hose. Yeah, if you do 10 a day, you should have one.

Christo lube oozing out when pressurized is normal especially right after service.

+1. I have the adjustment tool. Unless you need to adjust regulators, you don't need it. I rebuild 10 regulators a day.

And if you live in Key West, bring good beer and we'll give you the equipment specialty course. You'll learn all you need to know to make minor adjustments and WHEN YOU CAN'T.
Hello Frank,

While I am far closer to Orlando then Key West, I can still get down there some time, with Beer.

I been looking at the tool, from what I can tell you plug it into your BC Inflator hose? If so, do then come with different adapters? One of my Zeagle's uses the Standard inflator and the other 3 have SS1's.

Neither one. If it was recently rebuilt, it will spooge a little white grease the first time you use it. I solve this by wiping the grease out of the boot and off of the regulator, but some techs don't know that. Check the intermediate pressure (140 + 5 PSI) and if it's steady, wipe off the grease and have a great day. If it's way off 140 PSI, it needs the spring shimmed , or unshimmed. If it creeps up, it needs a new seat. But usually if it's creeping, it will free flow.

I received the IP Gauge today and did some testing. When first turned on the air (nitrox 32), some Christolube did come out. The PSI held at 145 for 3 hours, no air leaked, no addition Christolube leaked. I then turned off the air, depressurized the lines waited 5 minutes, then turned on the air again. Same amount of Christolube came out of the same spot, peasure held again at 145 psi. I also noticed when I discharged the lines, the rub ring on the 1st stage, sucked in a lot. When I turned the air back on, it pushed back out. I am guessing this was normal.

Thoughts?

Take the rubber ring off and wipe off all of the christolube. Yes, the reg will "breathe", as what you are doing is compressing the spring when you apply air. Pressurize and depressurize a few times to ensure all of the grease isn't expelled from the chamber, then replace the rubber ring. If you look at the ring, you will notice that there is a place in the back to accept the extra grease, and suck it back in when the reg is pressurized/depressurized. This is normal, and the engineers thought of this when they designed it. Live long and happy.

Well, since my buddy bought the Reg used, he opted to have them rebuild. The shop is charging $175, for Atomic M1 1st stage, 2nd Stage and Octo. He is not having it sealed. This seems very high price to me.

Holy carp. Seems high to me, but kits are retail $35 a stage at DGE, and labor is typically $30 a stage in South Florida. Of course, the shop shouldn't be charging retail for the kits.

Back
Top Bottom