M7 port on 3585 Cyklon 1st stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fossil_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
IMG_20160820_163824.jpg
I have a 3585 first stage that has the milled flat ports and banjo fitting on the hp port. What I'm wondering is what the metric M7 port is for that is just above the hp port?

Why would they not mention it in the service literature? They list and describe all the other ports but not that one. It is shown in the exploded diagram and parts list though. Could it be an attachment for an ip guage? It's really not in a good location for a lp port for a regulator or bc inflate hose.

unsure, but even on benches, the IP is typically taken from the inflator hose or an inline tool on a regulator hose. I haven't ever seen one of those first stages in person to really think about it

At first I thought it was connected directly to the hp chamber. I shined a light in the hp port and thought I could see it in the M7 port. After reading your post I took a closer look and it is definitely to the lp chamber.
I was thinking that because it is a Swedish company that maybe they put a metric port on it so they wouldn't have to use imperial fittings when doing bench testing during manufacture. But that doesn't make sense because they don't do that on any of their other regs and machining a port is a lot of work just to avoid using an imperial fitting during setup. It's a mystery.

that reg was probably made at the time where they were transitioning from metric ports over to the industry standardized imperial ports. I have some strange poseidon first stages that have me scratching my head on the port configurations

What is odd is that the size is much smaller than the 3/8 ports. It's my understanding the metric lp ports on the other regs are very close in size and people have even managed to force 3/8 fittings in them not realising they were metric. There is no way a 3/8 fitting could be forced in the M7 hole, it's about half the size. Possibly it is for an overpressure safety release. I noticed that on the 3790 first stages that they still use a 4mm metric locking screw on it even though all the other ports are imperial. I don't know if I would want the overpressure blasting towards the back of my head but I'm sure it would get my attention in a hurry.
I do like the banjo fitting on the hp port. It lets me position the hose exactly where I want it.
There is a new dive shop in my neighborhood and they sell/service Poseidon. I'm going to bring my Cyklon to them because the rubber purge button is starting to get a split in it and I can't find a replacement at DGX or DIRS. I'll ask the tech if they know what what that port is for but I have a feeling they won't know either.
I know I don't need it and will never use it but it's driving me nuts not knowing what it's for.

Back
Top Bottom