Mac or PC? Corel or what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimbalabala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My computer is slow and will probably need to be replaced soon. I probably won't spring for a Mac, but I'm wondering if the people who are 'serious' about UW use Mac or PC, and either way, which editing software you prefer?

Thanks.

I've been using a Mac for image and photo editing since 1997. Back then Photoshop was it, and PS was much easier to use on a Mac. These days, Macs still have the edge for ease of use and long term return on your investment. I get at least 5 years out of mine before considering new hardware. The screens on the iMacs and laptops have brilliant display quality, and have color calibration profiles for proper consistency between print and electronic display.
For software, Lightroom is now my main image editor. It's much easier to use for organization and batch processing. It has fairly easy to use controls for color correction and overall image adjustment. I occasionally return to PS for local fixes or edits that are too complex for LR. I haven't gotten into video yet, so can't make any recommendation there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have convinced myself my next laptop will be a Macbook Air because of how extremely light it is (currently have Macbook Pro.) I like to travel with it and dump pictures to it after a dive. The editing software on the Mac isn't fantastic, but it's not horrible. At one time I had the full blown version of Corel on my PC (it was pretty good) and have tried various programs like Picasa and Vivid Pix (you can get free trials.) IMHO, others will disagree, I can work with enough of the features on my Mac to doctor pictures so they look the same as what other photo editing software makes them look.

I'm more convinced that if you have a good camera and have everything set right, the colors will be true and you won't need to do anything but maybe crop the photo, but most of my diving is in clear Caribbean waters.

I had used PS essentials on a PC I had, it was always slow and tedious, may have been the horsepower in the computer. I bought a MacBook Air because of the size and it works great for travel. I played with iphoto, then Aperature. I didn't care for either of them. I trialed Light Room and found it to be great for what I do. The quick fixes in Light Room are generally all that needs to be done.

I recently upgraded my camera and haven't had a chance to see what I can do with it. I agree that a good quality photo to start with makes a great picture with only minor adjustments. With Light Room, I can take a questionable picture and make it acceptable. I would vote for the Mac. YMMV

I have Picasa and it has gotten a bit clumsy - and I think it's because my computer is aging and either needs a good cleaning or I need a new one - but when it works, it works pretty well. I tried VividPix and didn't like it. Choosing from the nine possible versions of your picture to start the process was like going to the eye doctor and them asking "is this better ... or this ... or this ...or this?" - and they all look bad or good - but none look 'better'! :/

I used a PC for years, along with Corel and Adobe software, but recently switched to a MacBook Air. Eventually, I will upgrade from iPhoto or iMovie but they are OK for now. I mostly use a go pro but download video and photo, along with photos from my wife's camera. I bought an external drive to dump the photos/video, the disc space on the Air is small, but for ease of use and traveling I like it a lot better than the PC's.

I wish I had gotten the 500 gig drive on mine when I bought it. I have the 256 gig drive. Storing the files on an external drive works great but consider another back up. I lost all of my GoPro video from my last trip when the external drive crashed. I would consider paying for some cloud storage, just to be safe. I back up my Air on an Apple Airport and on another external drive. The Air makes for a great computer when traveling, it has the horsepower for editing and is well worth it to me. Just make sure you backup your files in more than one place.

I used a PC for years, along with Corel and Adobe software, but recently switched to a MacBook Air. Eventually, I will upgrade from iPhoto or iMovie but they are OK for now. I mostly use a go pro but download video and photo, along with photos from my wife's camera. I bought an external drive to dump the photos/video, the disc space on the Air is small, but for ease of use and traveling I like it a lot better than the PC's.

---------- Post added July 19th, 2015 at 11:31 AM ----------

Edit

Of course backing up your files would be necessary for either a Mac or a PC.

Mine is the 256GB as well, once I transferred about 10 hours of GoPro footage, I realized the drive was too small. I bought two 1 TB drives for storage/backup, about $80 each, that should give me enough storage for some time.

I have never had a drive die on me, but I did kill my first GoPro at ~30 FSW. Either way, it's a bummer when electronics fail.

I have always had macs (well I did have an Apple 2E once upon a time). I have a MacBookPro and a MacAir for travel. I use LR for almost everything photo. I also use Photoshop. I've tried Picasso, but meh. I'm thinking about getting either an iMac or a Mac Pro.

I keep all my images on two hard drives.

I have had now for some years a 15 inch Mac Pro Retina. It has the solid state hard drive. Compared to my former Dell, it is very much lighter and slimmer and does not get hot in use. But, a few GoPro vids and that hard drive is full. I am not sure a MacBook Air would be sufficient for my other uses and my aging vision. Get the largest hard drive possible (I love the solid state otherwise). N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom