Mackinaw City and Presque Isle Trip -- August 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b1gcountry

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Join 'buba and me this August for two trips up to the best two wreck diving locations in our part of the world. The Straits of Mackinaw has some of the best recreational diving the lakes has to offer. It has everything from 100+ year old intact wooden schooners to 600'+ modern cargo mega-ships, all sunk in less than 140' of water. This is also the perfect destination for the beginning advanced-recreational-trimix diver to hone out their skills with some minimal deco to stretch out their bottom times.

After three days warming up in Mackinaw, we'll head down the road to Presque Isle, which is the up-and-coming "Must Do" technical dive location on the Great Lakes. If you want to see intact wrecks, this is the place you want to be in. It's the only place I know of where you can expect to see intact masts, rigging, and pilothouses on wrecks that have been sitting on the bottom since before your great-grandfather was born.

Mackinaw City
Dates: August 10-12 (Tue-Thur)
Depths: 70-140'
Wrecks: Eber Ward, Cedarville, M. Stalker, Sandusky, H. Barnum, Minneapolis, William Young
Charter Fees: $330 3 days, two dives per day ($270 if we can get 10 or more divers)
Lodging: Rainbow Motel. Price about $50/night for a double occupancy room. (so $25 per person per night)

Presque Isle
Dates: August 13-15 (Fri-Sun).
Depths: 140-210'
Wrecks: Florida, Windiate, Norman, Spangler, Typo, Audobaun, Definance
Charter Fees: $480 3 days, two tech dives per day ($420 if we can get 10 or more divers)
Lodging: Grand Lake Resort (see link below)

Charter:
Greg Such of Shipwreck Adventures. His boat is the Little Alexandria. Nice six-pack, with a berth and head, plus a nice ladder. Look him up at:
Shipwreck Adventures

Fills and Tanks:
Greg brings his compressor along, and will have He and O2 available at a reasonable price.
AL40 deco mix: $10
AL80 deco mix: $15
Trimix: $1.00/cf for He; $0.35/cf for O2
Tanks: I have some extra Doubles and deco bottles available for anyone coming in from out of town. First come first served. Contact me if you need anything.

These two sites offer some of the best diving in the entire great lakes. I am going to try to make this as accessible as possible for out of towners. The closest airport is at Traverse City, MI, and I will likely be passing through Chicago on the way there and back.

If you are interested, or have more questions, contact me. As of right now, I have three spots available on the morning boat in Mackinaw City, and one available for Presque Isle, so contact me asap if you want in. Once the morning boat fills up, Greg can also schedule an afternoon trip, but we need at least four divers signed up.

Greg tries to work around the weather, as much as he can, but if the boat doesn't leave port, you don't pay the charter fee for that day.

Mackinaw City Links:
Mackinaw City Attractions:
Mackinaw City Hotels & Lodging Official Guide

Rainbow Motel
Rainbow Motel Budget Lodging of Mackinaw City

Mackinaw Wrecks:
Cedarville
Young
Barnum
Eber Ward
Sundusky
Minneapolis