Macro with EPM1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks as Im leaning to diopter

Like Gdog, I have the E-PM1 with the Oly housing and standard port and am looking for a macro lens that costs a lot less than the 60mm lens does. Looking at the various altermatives, the Inon ULC 165 M67 seems to be the best solution. It costs only 177 USD or 116 GBP new on e-bay. However, I'm still not sure how to use it. Does it go on the 14-42mm kit lens inside the port or on the outside of the port as a wet lens? If it screws directly onto the 14-42mm, is there room fr it in the port when the zoom is fully zoomed to 42mm? Also, is it +7? Is the Dyron Double Diopter M67 also +7 and is it used in the same way as the Inon? I also Googled the Subsee +5 but could not find it. What does it cost, where can I buy it and how do I use it? Ideally, I would like to be able to switch between macro, 14mm and 42mm during the dive. This is difficult with a screw-on diopter in my experience. Is there a better alternative that would work with my camera/housing/port set-up?

---------- Post added July 2nd, 2013 at 06:49 PM ----------

Like Gdog, I have the E-PM1 with the Oly housing and standard port and am looking for a macro lens that costs a lot less than the 60mm lens does. Looking at the various altermatives, the Inon ULC 165 M67 seems to be the best solution. It costs only 177 USD or 116 GBP new on e-bay. However, I'm still not sure how to use it. Does it go on the 14-42mm kit lens inside the port or on the outside of the port as a wet lens? If it screws directly onto the 14-42mm, is there room fr it in the port when the zoom is fully zoomed to 42mm? Also, is it +7? Is the Dyron Double Diopter M67 also +7 and is it used in the same way as the Inon? I also Googled the Subsee +5 but could not find it. What does it cost, where can I buy it and how do I use it? Ideally, I would like to be able to switch between macro, 14mm and 42mm during the dive. This is difficult with a screw-on diopter in my experience. Is there a better alternative that would work with my camera/housing/port set-up?
Okey I've found the Subsee +5. It would be a pracitical solution but with the adapter etc it would be quite expensive. So what other alternatives are there? Somebody mentioned a wet lens with a lanyard that was easy to put on and take off during the dive but it is not clear (at least to me) which lens he was referring to.

---------- Post added July 2nd, 2013 at 06:49 PM ----------

Okey I've found the Subsee +5. It would be a pracitical solution but with the adapter etc it would be quite expensive. So what other alternatives are there? Somebody mentioned a wet lens with a lanyard that was easy to put on and take off during the dive but it is not clear (at least to me) which lens he was referring to.

The M67 wet lenses screw to the font of the housing they do not fit to the front of the lens.

If budget is an issue have a look at these lenses - 67mm Wet Macro Lenses - Reef Images Underwater Photo Accessories - Reef Wreck & Critter - I use the +3 and my mates have the +3 & + 6 (which I borrow sometimes) and value for money they are crackers :D

With the Olympus port you have to get the adaptor that pushes onto the front of the port to which the lens is screwed to. This adaptor just clips on and off. My mates used this method very effectively until one of them made a modification to the port so that it have an M67 thread permently fixed so now he just has to screw the lens on & off.

Hope this helps.

Karl

The M67 wet lenses screw to the font of the housing they do not fit to the front of the lens.

If budget is an issue have a look at these lenses - 67mm Wet Macro Lenses - Reef Images Underwater Photo Accessories - Reef Wreck & Critter - I use the +3 and my mates have the +3 & + 6 (which I borrow sometimes) and value for money they are crackers :D

With the Olympus port you have to get the adaptor that pushes onto the front of the port to which the lens is screwed to. This adaptor just clips on and off. My mates used this method very effectively until one of them made a modification to the port so that it have an M67 thread permently fixed so now he just has to screw the lens on & off.

Hope this helps.

Karl

Thanks Karl! It does indeed help.

Very popular set up here are the parts you need for wet lenses.

Adapter
Lenses & Filters :: Lens Holders & Adapters :: Olympus Macro Lens Adapter -
Possible diopters, with the 14-42mm a +8 or higher will give you the best results but you will be within inches of the subject. Don't forget you can stack two +5 diopter to equal a +10
Lenses & Filters :: Macro Diopter Lenses -

Thanks! $45 for the adapter is great (it costs $50 from other US sellers) but by the time I've paid Optical Ocean's shipping charges and Swedish Customs have added 25% tax and an administrative fee of approx $15, it would cost me almost three times that. There are only a couple of sellers here in Europe and their prices are exorbitant. I have therefore posted a wanted ad for a used one in the Clasifieds sections of Scubaboard and Wetpixels.

---------- Post added July 5th, 2013 at 11:47 AM ----------

Thanks! $45 for the adapter is great (it costs $50 from other US sellers) but by the time I've paid Optical Ocean's shipping charges and Swedish Customs have added 25% tax and an administrative fee of approx $15, it would cost me almost three times that. There are only a couple of sellers here in Europe and their prices are exorbitant. I have therefore posted a wanted ad for a used one in the Clasifieds sections of Scubaboard and Wetpixels.

UPDATE: I've just found, and bought, one on e-bay, from a Japanese seller. Price $58 + $3 shipping. So problem solved:)

Like Gdog I have an EPM1 with a PT-EP06 Olympus housing and I am looking for a good macro lens. My case is a slightly different because my standard 14-42 zoom lens is broken and to repair it it will cost me $125. Considering that this lens is not that great, from what I heard, I am wondering if I would be better off buying a different lens rather than fix the old one. The most obvious solution would be to buy an Olympus Macro 60mm lens but it's rather expensive and my budget is tight right now. So I am wondering if there is an alternative lens that's better quality than the 14-42 mm but not as expensive as the 60mm.

I believe the aquatica wet diopter screws on to the housing port and you can get either plus 5 or plus10 lenses that will keep you busy!!!

Like Gdog I have an EPM1 with a PT-EP06 Olympus housing and I am looking for a good macro lens. My case is a slightly different because my standard 14-42 zoom lens is broken and to repair it it will cost me $125. Considering that this lens is not that great, from what I heard, I am wondering if I would be better off buying a different lens rather than fix the old one. The most obvious solution would be to buy an Olympus Macro 60mm lens but it's rather expensive and my budget is tight right now. So I am wondering if there is an alternative lens that's better quality than the 14-42 mm but not as expensive as the 60mm.

Have a look on Ebay for lenses there. IMHO look at a 12 - 50mm as it is a very good lens and gives you a macro mode - 43mm - so you can use it as a general lens or lock it into macro for when you want a macro lens. So essentially two lenses in one.

If using it in the 12 - 50mm range then adding a wet lens will give you some macro ability.

Karl

Will the 12-50mm lens fit the PT-EP06 standard port? If not, it would probably be better to look for a used 14-42 mm lens, which actually gives very decent stills and excellent video, in my experience. If you also buy Jeff Mullins' swing-away adapter and wet diopter (as I have done), Reef Images - Underwater Photo Accessories - Reef Wreck & Critter you can then take normal shots (moderately wide angle to close-ups) and true macro during the same dive. I also have the 60mm macro lens, which takes great macro but is not a lot of use for video, in my opinion, as you have to remain absolutely still and while it is not hard to remain still long enough to take stills, it is nigh on impossible to do so for 30 seconds or longer if there is the slightest current, for example.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom