Macro with EPM1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

----- the E-MP1 is not a camera designed to shoot good quality video clips but still images; the best think to do in my case is to wait until I can afford to buy the 60mm lens. In the meantime it may be worth buying a 14-42 mm used. I saw one for $89, which is cheaper than getting my old lens fixed.

I have noticed that the 14-42mm with the optical zoom fully extended (I never use the digital zoom) does not perform very well

Sorry, I disagree on both points. Firstly, who says the E-PM1 is not designed to shoot good quality video but still images? I have taken some very nice video clips with my E-PM1.
Secondly I have taken some nice stiils with the 14-42mm lens with the zoom fully extended.

Sorry, I disagree on both points. Firstly, who says the E-PM1 is not designed to shoot good quality video but still images? I have taken some very nice video clips with my E-PM1.
Secondly I have taken some nice stiils with the 14-42mm lens with the zoom fully extended.

Hi John, if you are happy with the video quality of the E-PM1 and the stills shot with the 14-42 mm lens fair enough. I guess my standards are different from yours. It also depends on what you are using the pictures and video clips for. (Regarding the video, in my experience, other factors can degrade the original quality of a video clip. It seems to me that the original looks much better but when I export it to upload it on YouTube, for instance, it is always of an inferior quality.)

Cheers and happy safe shooting!:)

Thanks, I'd also like to add that the 14-42mm lens is not worth it, the IQ is pretty bad.

Regarding the video, in my experience, other factors can degrade the original quality of a video clip. It seems to me that the original looks much better but when I export it to upload it on YouTube, for instance, it is always of an inferior quality.

Agreed! Absolutely! I uploaded my film from my Aqaba trip last November to YouTube and it is crap, nowhere near as good as the original clips! But I think some of the underwater clips in this version are very nice Aqaba, Jordan 17-24 October 2013 - johngulliver's Photos Some are definitely NOT good - they are only included because I wanted to show my friends what we saw during our dives that trip.

The 60mm is an incredible lens! Tried out my PM1 on holiday in January, and used the 14-42mm on 2-3 dives, the rest with the macrolens.
The first pic is with the 14-42 at 40mm, cropped a bit, but the quality's not that bad.....

P9291178.jpg
_1092029_edited-1.jpg
The frogfish is uncropped, same lens at 40mm
_1122256_edited-1.jpg
Moray, 60mm macro, uncropped
_1081925_edited-1.jpg
Ornate Ghost Pipefish, 60mm, a bit cropped.

I have several photos with both lenses, but the macro is outstanding...it needs a bit more planning, and hunts a little before finding focus, so I will add the focus ring before the next dive.Also, there is a lot of info on the settings for Olympus MFT on the Underwaterphoto pages. I use an Inon S2000 bought used, and after looking through my wifes shots(she onlys have the kit lens), I think she need a strobe too. It takes out the full potential of this camera/lens combination, but she also have some very good shots without the strobe.
It all depends on the light available.... By the way, I also shot a video of the frogfish moving, and the quality is far better than my Gopro.....

Image Quality.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ah! Thanks!

---------- Post added February 14th, 2014 at 10:46 AM ----------

The 60mm is an incredible lens! Tried out my PM1 on holiday in January, and used the 14-42mm on 2-3 dives, the rest with the macrolens.
The first pic is with the 14-42 at 40mm, cropped a bit, but the quality's not that bad.....

View attachment 177642
View attachment 177643
The frogfish is uncropped, same lens at 40mm
View attachment 177644
Moray, 60mm macro, uncropped
View attachment 177645
Ornate Ghost Pipefish, 60mm, a bit cropped.

Certainly with the 60mm lens the subject stands out more from the background.

I have several photos with both lenses, but the macro is outstanding...it needs a bit more planning, and hunts a little before finding focus, so I will add the focus ring before the next dive.Also, there is a lot of info on the settings for Olympus MFT on the Underwaterphoto pages. I use an Inon S2000 bought used, and after looking through my wifes shots(she onlys have the kit lens), I think she need a strobe too. It takes out the full potential of this camera/lens combination, but she also have some very good shots without the strobe.
It all depends on the light available.... By the way, I also shot a video of the frogfish moving, and the quality is far better than my Gopro.....

Focus ring? Do you mean that you can do manual focusing with the camera inside the housing?

Light! Yes! The manufacturer claims that the camera has an improved ability to keep the noise down so it boosted the ISO to 12800, but the reality is I never go over 1000 if I can help it because the noise becomes so visible that not even with Photoshop tricks I can get rid of it. So I wonder why push it to a 12800 if the camera is not able to handle the noise properly? In the dark waters of Puget Sound sometimes not even a 12800 if enough to combine available and strobe light at the same time when below a certain depth.
It seems to me that all these consumer cameras are geared for clear tropical water where is sunny most of the year.

Anyway where I was getting to with this rant? Well I guess stating the obvious: good strobes really help any lens to perform better.

Last edited:
Yes, a focus ring could help when the auto hunts...focusing manually.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk

The 60mm macro is a fantastic lens and is my preferred macro lens - I love it and highly recommend it to anyone thinking of doing macro work.

However, the question Soakedlontra originally asked was for a replacement lens for the 14 - 42mm as theirs was broken and they are one a tight budget.

In this case I think the 12 - 50mm is a better option as it is cheaper than the 60mm - around $400 as opposed to $600 (Aust Dollars) but it is even cheaper on EBay where I have seen them for around the $200 mark.

The 12 - 50mm is a good range and works well will wet lenses - I use this combination and can not fault it - but there is also the added benefit that if you want to do a dive and just shoot macro images you can lock the lens into macro mode (43mm) and you has a very good macro lens.

At the end of the day there is always going to be compromises and you have to decide which is the best compromise - if you want the best macro lens then get the 60mm macro, but if you are on a tight budget then get the 12 - 50mm.

This image was taken with the 12 - 50mm in macro mode.

2013-09-11+Malasti+-+17.jpg

This one was with the 60mm

2013-09-08+The+Drop+Off+-+05.jpg

Hope this helps.

Karl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom