Macro with EPM1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just remember that for wet lenses on most m43 Oly houses, you'll need the (surprisingly expensive) M67 converter PMLA-EP01

That is correct - to use the 12 - 50mm you would need to have a wet lens attached as you can't access macro mode (unlike with the Nauticam port) but if you use a good quality wet lens then you will get very good results. Value for money I would recommend these ones - 67mm Wet Macro Lenses - Reef Images Underwater Photo Accessories - Reef Wreck & Critter - I used one for a while and have it as a backup. I now have a Subsea +10 but it is a lot more expensive.

Try EvilBay for cheap lenses - you never know you might get lucky.

Karl

Thanks! :)

---------- Post added February 18th, 2014 at 10:36 AM ----------

The lens was on sale for 399 recently....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Unfortunately I cannot jump on this bargain right now, I have spent my savings on a Stress and Rescue class so I will have to start to save $ again even if I decide to buy the 12-50mm + wet lens! Oh well I will get there eventually!

---------- Post added February 18th, 2014 at 10:45 AM ----------

Just remember that for wet lenses on most m43 Oly houses, you'll need the (surprisingly expensive) M67 converter PMLA-EP01

I have it already so at least I don't have to spend money to buy that piece of plastic! But then If I decide to buy the 60mm lens I guess I won't need the macro lens adaptor anymore.

A much better alternative in my opinion is Jeff Mullins' swing-away macro lens holder Reef Images - Underwater Photo Accessories - Reef Wreck & Critter It lets you take close-up and moderate wide-angle shots and macro during the same dive and is ruggedly built.

Or you can get a custom made one that my mate makes that replaces the front part of the housing (the red ring bit) so that you can screw M67 lenses straight on.

Karl

Or you can get a custom made one that my mate makes that replaces the front part of the housing (the red ring bit) so that you can screw M67 lenses straight on.

Karl

Sounds good but does it flip or swing out of the way so that you can choose whether to use it or not for each shot?

Sounds good but does it flip or swing out of the way so that you can choose whether to use it or not for each shot?

No it replaces the red exterior ring of the housing and is fixed in place. You then screw the wet lens on or add a flip dioptre to it - will try and get a photo and show you.

Karl

I still have this for sale on Ebay

Subsee 10 Diopter and Reefnet Swing Arm | eBay

I switched over to the 60mm for my macro work and don't really see me needing the +10 or the swing arm anymore.
(Plus I am getting ready to move so I have to try to clear out some gear I don't currently use)

The lens was on sale for 399 recently....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the stroke of luck, some unexpected extra money showed up out of the blue and I was able to buy the 60mm lens. I found it used on EBay for $399 (I wonder if it was the same that you saw).

I have been using it for several weeks now and I must say that it is a rather remarkable lens. Now I know what other users meant when they mentioned something like “dancing with the focus mechanism”. On land when the lens struggles to focus for minutes on end I switch to manual but underwater I keep trying and end up shooting a lot of bad pictures hoping to get one right.

The first image is a close up of a skunk cabbage flower and I am wondering whether the areas that are out of focus are normal or are a sign that the lens has a problem.

ScubaB_SkunkC_4180967.jpg

The second image is a close up of a coonstripe shrimp standing on an orange sea cucumber. Would you consider the focus on this image acceptable? (Well I think it could be better)

ScubaB_CShrimp_4181075.jpg

I have noticed that when the subject is not frozen still the lens struggles to focus too. Even on land I find it difficult to get sharp pictures of moving subjects despite of the lens that I use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom