Made my first dives in Roatan, now wifey thinks it's caput

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the rotisserie chicken place still there? I quite enjoyed their chicken!

Based on my experience last week there I can say West Bay is affected by the cruise ships. I have no basis of past comparison but When ships where in I just found other things to do until after 3pm when they started to vacate. There were persistent beach vendors every day and in full force on ship days. I know they are just trying to make a living but not being able to walk the beach without having to tell a dozen people no multiple times is annoying.

So on this board would most people say Coco View would be fantastic for an all inclusive dive vacation? Followed by Turquoise Bay? Followed by whom else? And I'm not asking anybody to rank them I would love to know what all of the dive resorts are that are worth visiting. The idea of shore diving that house reef with the wreck right in its front yard makes me giddy with excitement. My wife is a little bummed that there is no swimming pool but he can't have everything. How is the food at Coco by the way? Food at turquoise? Food at any other resort? Please expand.

Roatán is the only place of any kind of vacation even land based that I have been to more than once. Having said that...I’m less likely to go back. Might have something to do with the cruise ships or the two story Sundowners, not sure.

So on this board would most people say Coco View would be fantastic for an all inclusive dive vacation? Followed by Turquoise Bay? Followed by whom else? And I'm not asking anybody to rank them I would love to know what all of the dive resorts are that are worth visiting. The idea of shore diving that house reef with the wreck right in its front yard makes me giddy with excitement. My wife is a little bummed that there is no swimming pool but he can't have everything. How is the food at Coco by the way? Food at turquoise? Food at any other resort? Please expand.
Last summer, my wife and I stayed a week at Splash Inn (dove with Octopus Dive School in Sandy Bay) in the West End and then nine days at Barefoot Cay on the other side of the island. Barefoot Cay is on the pricier end of things in Roatan...has a very nice pool and is secluded...think private island where a small taxi takes you across the channel to/from your cottage. Diving was great. They have a house reef and dive all of the sites on that side of the island...same as CCV. It's worth checking out.

Last summer, my wife and I stayed a week at Splash Inn (dove with Octopus Dive School in Sandy Bay) in the West End and then nine days at Barefoot Cay on the other side of the island. Barefoot Cay is on the pricier end of things in Roatan...has a very nice pool and is secluded...think private island where a small taxi takes you across the channel to/from your cottage. Diving was great. They have a house reef and dive all of the sites on that side of the island...same as CCV. It's worth checking out.

Mere curiosity on my part but why did you choose to dive with an operator out of Sandy Bay whilst staying in West End central village?

Mere curiosity on my part but why did you choose to dive with an operator out of Sandy Bay whilst staying in West End central village?
For many years, we've been friends with Nuria, the owner of Octopus. She consistently has small groups, provides 90 cf tanks on request and allows the divers to dive their tank. She also picks us up in front of the hotel every morning.

Hard to beat the service...much less the friendship.

If considering that side of the island give her a shout...she'll take good care of you.
Tell her Grant said Aloha!

My wife is a little bummed that there is no swimming pool but he can't have everything. How is the food at Coco by the way? Food at turquoise? Food at any other resort? Please expand.

TBR has a pool (though my idea of a pool starts at 25 yars and that's not one of those), a bit of a beach, and no shore dive. Food was OK when we were there but dep. on the occupancy they may do buffet or set menu -- we had the former and there was enough variety to find something you liked. We've actually considered CCV or just someplace West End and walk-in diving for our next trip and decided to go back to TBR instead.

TBR usually has non-diving vacationers from mainland, kids and all, but you're spending so much time on the boat you don't see much of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom