Madison Blue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bottom line, I wouldn’t think a list of “beginner” caves is terribly useful at face value. Your really need more information on each site.

Pretty much my thinking as well, I can get some basic maps and even see videos. But hearing what other experienced divers think of a new to me site is important to cave diving, particularly at my level with my limited experience.

Madison is a lovely intro level cave. The rocky horror passage is way past where you will get on intro limits so not at all relevant

I have shared my list with a lot of local experienced cave divers and gotten a lot of first hand descriptions about the caves on the list. If I hear that a cave is easily silted out or has restrictions or is closed to the public or has bad typical visibility or is too deep etc... I have removed it from the list. I've made it clear to those reviewing the list that I am looking for "recommended for new cave divers" not just "possible". If anyone has an opinion that something on my list is not recommendable for a new cave diving team then please let me know the details so I can remove it from the list. I am keeping track of all dive sites along with why they are not recommended. Thanks.

It might make sense to find an experienced guide for any place you haven’t yet been. Probably would be plenty of folks willing to meet you there for a dive.

Another vote for yes to Madison! I'm located in Tallahassee so Madison and Peacock have become my home turf and I've been diving both at all levels starting with Cavern. On your exit, take your time looking around in the Cavern Zone in Madison, there is truly much to see in there. The Goldline is a great dive and the cave changes radically in appearance/structure along the Goldline. There are also several sections where pull and glide is a great method of propulsion (lots of rock floor). Once you get to know the flow it is very easy to stay in the slack water. Honestly, my preferred entrance is the Rabbit Hole. I've just always found it much easier to enter there rather than swim against the flow in the Main entrance. There is LOTS of really fine silt on the floor after you enter from the Rabbit Hole, so after making a secondary tie-off you need to get away from the floor and then swim towards the 1-2 o'clock position to hit the Stop sign. I always run a reel in Madison because I have seen the Cavern completely blown out even though it was beautiful when I entered. Definitely less chance of kicking up silt running a primary to the Main entrance if that is a true concern.

It was the first post-Intro-cert dive my wife and I did, because it was on the way home (north) from cave country. We have dived it a couple of more times since then.

From my Intro-level perspective, I think it is quite newbie-friendly. Now, that may be because it was one of the sites we dived during my class, and the instructor showed us how it's best done.

@Silverhippi 's comments are spot-on. The Rabbit Hole is a fire hose for only a second or two, and as soon as you're inside it gets easier. It's funny, but the comment someone (was it AJ?) made on your video in your other thread (Orange Grove?) about not pivoting around so much when doing a tie-off immediately made me think of the Rabbit Hole. We learned the hard way that pivoting 180 degrees to attempt to make it easier to hold position when doing the secondary tie-off is a great way to get your fins into the silt mound.

I have shared my list with a lot of local experienced cave divers and gotten a lot of first hand descriptions about the caves on the list. If I hear that a cave is easily silted out or has restrictions or is closed to the public or has bad typical visibility or is too deep etc... I have removed it from the list. I've made it clear to those reviewing the list that I am looking for "recommended for new cave divers" not just "possible". If anyone has an opinion that something on my list is not recommendable for a new cave diving team then please let me know the details so I can remove it from the list. I am keeping track of all dive sites along with why they are not recommended. Thanks.

It might make sense to find an experienced guide for any place you haven’t yet been. Probably would be plenty of folks willing to meet you there for a dive.

A little off topic, but I've seen you've been compiling a list. It may sound boring, but the reality is at intro and even apprentice level, the real choices of caves to dive are Ginnie, Peacock, Little River, Madison, and the Mill Pond caves. Those 5-7 caves can easily get you 100 dives without getting bored and will advance your skill level. Alot of people get bored doing the same dives over and over, but with repeat dives you learn progressive cave penetration, gain the ability to recognize parts of the cave, and also become comfortable. The becoming comfortable part is important, because that's where skill progression comes from. If you dive Orange Grove 20 times, each dive you will get more comfortable and will go from being stressed about where the line is and where you're going, to focusing on having ideal trim and buoyancy, maintaining a good breathing rate (not the excited increased sac), and learning to read the curves of the cave and figuring out how to get out of flowy or silty areas.
When I started getting my certs, I wanted to hit every cave I could. To be honest we did. After finishing Cave 1 we went to France, Mexico, then back to France, all while diving the same 5-7 caves in Florida over and over again. I believe we had about 100 dives at cave 1 before moving to cave 2 and could pretty well know the "common" caves from memory, which made Cave 2 easier. It's great to want to know all the caves you "can" dive, but be realistic about which ones you're actually likely to dive and really learn from. Even if the first 800 feet of the Peanut line get boring (cause it will).

Thank you for being so nice in your feedback! A lot of people on the internet just go immediately to hostility.

Those caves you listed are “enough” but I’m still curious the exact reasons for ruling out the additional sites I listed.

Thank you for being so nice in your feedback! A lot of people on the internet just go immediately to hostility.

Those caves you listed are “enough” but I’m still curious the exact reasons for ruling out the additional sites I listed.

There's no reason you can't dive alot of those sites, but my point was consistency and comfort are important. I won't go through the whole list, but places like Bozell and Lafayette Blue aren't for intro divers.

• Bozel Spring - bad intro site, access, entrance, size.
  • Buford Spring - bad intro site, depth plus it's just a big cavern
  • Ebro Blue - ?
  • Ginnie (Devil's Ear) - good intro/apprentice site
  • Ginnie (Devil's Eye) - good intro/apprentice site
  • Hole in the Wall - good intro/apprentice site, boat ride, silt
  • Jackson Blue - good intro/apprentice site
  • Lafayette (Blue Spring) - bad intro/apprentice site; visibility is rarely more than 20', lots of T's, silt, no gold line
  • Lafayette (Green Sink) - bad intro/apprentice site; visibility is rarely more than 20', lots of T's, silt, no gold line
  • Lineater / Stevenson - bad intro/apprentice site; ridiculous flow, no gold line, poor visibility
  • Little River - good intro site EXCEPT depth pushes you into NDL's pretty quickly.
  • Madison (Main) - great intro site.
  • Manatee (Catfish Hotel) - bad intro/apprentice site; depth pushes you into NDL's quickly, high flow, frequently poor vis
  • Peacock (Main) - great intro/apprentice site
  • Peacock (Orange Grove) - great intro/apprentice site
  • Telford - you'll need to navigate a gap quickly into the system, beyond the intro limits; access is limited
  • Twin Cave - good intro/apprentice site, boat ride.
  • Wakulla (Cherokee Sink) - bad intro/apprentice site; poor vis, silt
  • Wakulla (Clearcut Sink) - bad intro/apprentice site; depth.
  • Wakulla (Emerald Sink) - bad intro/apprentice site; depth downstream, a T upstream within 200'.

Remember, intro/apprentice divers have a visibility limit of 30' minimum starting visibility, limited minor restrictions, no decompression, no navigational decisions (no T's, no jumps). At the intro/apprentice level you should be gaining experience while refining the basics of cave diving -- running a reel without turning it into a birdsnest or silting the heck out of the system, awareness of your buddy/team/line, mastering your gear. Intro isn't the place to go and see every cave out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom