Magic Filter, or Red filters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mpd525

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm a complete newbie to UW photos, i've been doing lots of reading on here and elsewhere.

I've got 2 questions

1--i see alot of good results with the magic filters, but from what i understand if you want to take topside photos between dives, you have to take the camera out of the housing, and pull the filter off the lens. Is this true, and are the filters a one time use type thing.

2--I've also read they that the magics are basically a red filter, so would i be better off just buying a red filter, or some other type of filter to fit over the front of the housing.

Just so every body knows what setup i'm using it's an oly FE-280, and PT-038 housing.

hi mate

heres a link to a site in the uk that sells them, they have a how to guide that explains how to put them on
Cameras Underwater: Magic Filters for use with digital cameras and housings: Auto Magic, Green Water Magic

i think that if ur really carefull with them u could get a lot of use out of them, but it wouldnt be that difficult to damage them because they look a bit flimsy to me

im not exactly sure if they are simply a red filter or not but they kinda look like it to me, maybe one of the the other guys with more experiance could tell u weather u could just get a red filter

i asked a chap on the website for some advice on them and he said that as long as my camera has a manual wb control i wouldnt need to use the magic filter because all they are doing is baically taking the blue out tint ye get out by putting the red color of the spectrum back in, maybe a bit of a simplistic explanation on my part he said it a lot better but i think u get the picture haha

Magic Filters are the result of a lot of research by some very dedicated underwater photographers in the UK.
They are not just a red filter.
I have tried using various photographic filters (prior to the release of Magic Filters) in shades of red/orange with a digital camera to check the results. But found that it was very difficult to get blue water backgrounds looking blue still - they took on various colour shifts of purple/mauve instead of blue.
When the Magic Filter was released, I ordered one and have now used it extensively with various compact digitals and find that it retains the correct blue water colouring at the same time as bringing back the lost reds and oranges in the photos.
The following photo was taken in 15 metres with no strobe, but with a Magic filter - and the camera manually white balanced.

AnthiaswithMagicFilter.jpg

Nice work, Jeff.

The filters make it much easier to get good colors with a nice blue background. Good luck trying to achieve the same colors without a filter. First, you would need a camera with RAW support. Then you would have to be very, very good with post processing. And it would take a lot of time for each photo.

My experience with Magic Filters has been very good. This wasn't my best photo, but it does show that you can have nice colors without overwhelming the picture.
77985313.jpg

hello everybody,
i have a quick question about red filter; is somebody try to use red filter with nikonos ? what is the result with black and white film ?
thanks
regis

OHMIGOD!! I just looked at that site. Are you kidding me? These jokers are charging $100 for a Rosco gel?

Rosco US : Filters : Roscolux

Why don't a few folks from the board get together and figure out which gel they are using, then buy a sheet for $6 and have enough for a lifetime?

Premier Lighting-- Roscolux

In fact Rosco will even send you a swatch book with ALL the filters they sell at no cost. Then you can just match it up.

I paid $20 from reef photo for a small sheet. Cut it and placed it in the port. Works great but I would probably opt for a UR pro that screws onto the front of the port...a little more pricey but less hassle.

how you guys are doing your white balance U/W ? i' ve heard that you can do a manual white balance on the sand ..is that thrue ? do you use a white slate ?

just bought magic filter and i am going to Cozumel in 3 weeks ... can't wait to
try that filter if it really makes a difference .

I have used the sand before and it worked out OK.

how you guys are doing your white balance U/W ? i' ve heard that you can do a manual white balance on the sand ..is that thrue ? do you use a white slate ?

just bought magic filter and i am going to Cozumel in 3 weeks ... can't wait to
try that filter if it really makes a difference .

You may not always have the sand close by, and when you are underwater, your eyes may be tricked into thinking the sand is white or neutral gray.

You could just use your slate or any other thing that is White or Neutral Gray. Some household stuff can work well. You might even be able to identify a neutral gray on your diving suit or equipment that you could adjust to if you have changed depth and want to get the White Balance right.

Best Regards
Richard (Riger)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom