Magic Filter, or Red filters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1--i see alot of good results with the magic filters, but from what i understand if you want to take topside photos between dives, you have to take the camera out of the housing, and pull the filter off the lens. Is this true, and are the filters a one time use type thing.

Actually, I did some experiments with the Magic Filter for topside photos out of curiosity, and the same concept for white balancing applies onland as underwater. Even with the Magic Filter on while between dives, if you simply do a white balance, it neutralizes the extra red for surface photos/videos. In the few land photos I took with the filter on, I didn't see an extra red at all. The filter comes in a big enough square that for a small P&S you should be able to get 4 different pieces from it.

2--I've also read they that the magics are basically a red filter, so would i be better off just buying a red filter, or some other type of filter to fit over the front of the housing.

I found that the Magic Filter really becomes quite useless below about 60-70 feet, or in any dark areas such as in a cavern or under rocks - often where the really interesting critters dwell. So if you can afford the extra housing and/or adapter, the wet lens concept (where you can add/remove underwater) seems ideal. But certainly for most diving situations, the Magic Filter is quite an inexpensive and easy way to go IMO.

I found that the Magic Filter really becomes quite useless below about 60-70 feet, or in any dark areas such as in a cavern or under rocks - often where the really interesting critters dwell. So if you can afford the extra housing and/or adapter, the wet lens concept (where you can add/remove underwater) seems ideal. But certainly for most diving situations, the Magic Filter is quite an inexpensive and easy way to go IMO.

Your camera needs light to make a picture. Below 60 feet there is so little light left, the filter acts like a sunshade.
The same counts for shooting in caves, filters work with natural light.. in overhang situations there is too little natural light to shoot a descent picture.

I just bought a 67mm screw-on Dyron filter for my trip to Hamata (flying in 6hours :eyebrow:) that mounts on the same 67mm screw mount where my diopter screws on to... so I can switch between diopter and red-filter between dives.

Underwater removing/swapping diopter/red-filter is possible too but too risky to lose or damage the filter.. if you missing the shot of your life, it is possible to take the diopter or red-filter off, and hand it to your buddy or guide.

I always carry a small white slate to set my white balance.
You guys have some great results using magic filters. I decided against getting one as once it's on you're stuck with it for the whole dive. My diving is in the Med and quite shallow, so I don't think it would help.
Terry

Back
Top Bottom