Magnifying LCD and shroud

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ABQdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Using a Oly C-7070 with Oly housing. Noticed the other day surfing that there was a Monitor Magnifier Hood to fit the housings. Is this a practical thing to have, or an expensive ($70) piece of junk??? Looks like this

I thought it might help with manual focus using the super macro.

If you require reading glasses, the UN LCD Hood Magnifier may aid your underwater photography in a couple of ways.

Originally, I had prescription diopters installed in my diving mask (+2.0). Traditionally they are placed in the lower section of the mask. Good for reading gauges, but not good placement within the mask if the goal is to shoot up in the water column. Typically, I am in a horizontal position with arms stretched forward when using my point and shoot rig. If I were to focus my eyes through the prescription diopters when viewing the LCD screen, it would force me to tilt my head way back to see through the lower portion of the mask. Possible, but uncomfortable. With the aid of the magnifier though, I am able to read all the important data that appears on my Oly LCD screen (aperture, shutter speed,etc) without viewing through the prescription diopters. I am also able to determine within reason from the LCD screen if the Oly has locked onto focus what I deem important (the blinking or solid green light near the optical viewfinder still plays an important role in verifying focus).

Sunlight hitting any LCD screen is a problem. If the Sun is to your back when attempting to view the LCD, chances are the light rays will turn the camera's screen unusable, washed out. The hood portion of the magnifier addresses this issue by blocking those unwanted rays.

btw, the rails required to install the hood magnifier on an Oly housing are molded directly into most PT housings. I have developed a way to install the unit onto my 6130.1 Ikelite housing. Follow either thread below for specifics and follow up q & a's.

http://www.digitaldiver.net/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=14733

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9530

hth,
b

I have one that I use with my PT-020 and C5060. If you are "optically challenged" when reading........it is a VERY helpful tool. It worked great in my opinion and I was really glad I bought it.

Gordon

I love mine for all the reasons Bobf mentioned. Best $$ I've spent on photo stuff recently.

I have had mine for quite a while now and LOVE IT !!! On a recent trip I loned it to an other OLY diver and was getting a bit worried that I may not be getting it back (she wished !) . . LOL :05:

Get it Dee . . it makes seeing the small screen a LOT easier !! Mark

OPPPPS . . the above coments were for ABQDIVER . . sorry Dee . . :D

I have one too (and I don't think I paid $70-Check Yuzo)...although it does make the screen bigger and is handy, I have a hard time keeping the "stupid thing" to stay in place. I put it on, swim along and when I want to take a picture I notice that it has fallen off and I have to fuss around to get it back on....can be a PITA. It might fit more snugly on the 7070...but thought I should mention it.

Thanks for the input!
It always seems like there is more to buy than there is money to buy with...... :D

However, if an item is proven it's worth the dollars. I will check with Yuzo, his price will be $43, much better. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom