Main reason I stopped diving or entering water is skin eating bacteria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, but the mosquitos in cave country occasionally abduct a nubile young human female that is never seen again.
And the rest of us sometimes need stitches because of the bites.

Michael
I have very few where I live. I do have noseeums and gnats, but skin so soft stops them.

I don't live in Lake City and have no idea. I live in SE Suwanee County, about halfway between Jug Hole and Little River. I've never seen them spray around me, but I check for free standing water and deal with it as I find it. The bats help too, but no standing water really helps.

From the news where I live just last week: Mooresville girl still fighting after flesh-eating bacteria infection during Florida vacation

In the article, the CDC says 1 in 3 die from necrotizing fasciitis and that good hygiene and wound care reduces the chance of developing the disease.

I was skeptical early on in this thread but now ............!

Yes, but out of 327 million people in the United States alone, there are only 700-1100 cases reported each year. So you have between a 0.00021% and 0.00033% chance of getting it. And a lot more than completely jumping in the water can expose you to the bacteria. You can't avoid it completely, it's one of those rare absolute worst case scenarios

When I turned 16 or so, there was a scare about a brain eating amoeba in our lakes. The trigger was the temperature and, of course, pollution. I just stuck to the springs and oceans in the summer and never, ever had a problem. Your body has an amazing ability to fight off most infections. It can fight off this as well if it doesn't get overwhelmed. The hotter the temps, the more cooties are in the water and the better chance your immune system will be overwhelmed. Compromise that immune system at all, and it's even worse. Stay off the Florida beaches if you're sick, on drugs or otherwise compromised.

I hate to break it to you guys but necrotizing fasciitis (NF) is not limited to water related injuries. In fact, the most common cause is Group A Streptococcus (GAS). Ever hear of strep throat?

excellent links I I had the red tide bookmarked will save the rest. however I'm convinced the real #s are twice what is published.

the water in the GOM gulf of mexico last weekend was 91* this from the local news for beach goer's. I assume at 80' or deeper basically blue water this temp. # is significantly reduced. I actuelly never go to the beach but have family that love the beach.

as for fly repellents I use the outdoors deet it helps but the biters still bite, I'm hoping the avon skin so soft will save me.

as for wet suit's in this hot water is a no go. I only have a 7mm farmer john.

but also wear a body glove spandex suit either under a suit or on it's own for jelly fish stings
or will jelly fish sting though the spandex.
Thanks Guys for advice

as far as beating a dead horse dude: what if that was you're mother

people need to be informed of the dangers and prepare for the worst.

as for yorgurt maybe the greek yorgurt I make cole w/ is the good bacteria.

I've been upgrading both speargun (w/ reel and float line w/ bungee) and pole spears so I'm kindof ready to get wet when I feel comfortable.
STB
According to science Avon Skin So Soft is a good skin moisturizer. As a bug repellant, not so much.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa011699

I hate to break it to you guys but necrotizing fasciitis (NF) is not limited to water related injuries. In fact, the most common cause is Group A Streptococcus (GAS). Ever hear of strep throat?
A guy that lives up the street from me contracted NF after major surgery last January. He survived no problem, but he was in Weill Cornell Medical Center, one of Manhattan's premier hospitals. He's in his 70s and had heart surgery which went well, but had a stroke the next day. While recovering from the stroke his incision developed NF. He was at Weill Cornell for three weeks, but has recently gotten back into the pool for some easy volleyball. He'll be doing a cruise in two months and expects to do some snorkeling. Ya gotta be tough to make it.

Back
Top Bottom