Main reason I stopped diving or entering water is skin eating bacteria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not read every post in this thread, but from what I have, I would like to make a suggestion to the OP. You seem to be focusing on an extremely unlikely risk associated with diving. Flesh eating bacteria can be contracted a number of way and places, but in almost cases it is extremely rare and fairly preventable. You may want to discuss this with a professional, as it may be treatable like other phobias. I see you were also the guy who was worried about dental squeeze. You may want to seek mental health support prior to diving, it does not sound like diving safety is the actual issue.
this is what you and the other none believers should do go swimming at the Mississippi beachs right now, then consume some marine life if you survive come back and report you still have all you're body parts.it will spread though out the Gulf quickly
Bacteria close all Mississippi Gulf Coast mainland beaches

MRSA is everywhere. It can't be treated with antibiotics: it has to excised with a knife. If a doctor hesitates at all or misdiagnoses the situation, it can spread into the blood and pop up almost anywhere, including organs. You need to be extra careful if your immune system has been compromised, but anyone can contract it.
There is a fair amount of misinformation here.

There is a great deal of MRSA in the community and it can be present but not cause infection. When it does it is often, but not always, in the form of a boil or abscess. And yes this does need to drain, sometimes spontaneously or also by I&D. But MRSA is susceptible to many antibiotics, both old and new.

MRSA itself is not a common cause of NF. Strep is the most common bacteria associated with NF.

There is a great deal of MRSA in the community and it can be present but not cause infection. When it does it is often, but not always, in the form of a boil or abscess. And yes this does need to drain, sometimes spontaneously or also by I&D. But MRSA is susceptible to many antibiotics, both old and new.

MRSA itself is not a common cause of NF. Strep is the most common bacteria associated with NF.

Wow

this is what you and the other none believers should do go swimming at the Mississippi beachs right now, then consume some marine life if you survive come back and report you still have all you're body parts.it will spread though out the Gulf quickly
Bacteria close all Mississippi Gulf Coast mainland beaches
...that bacteria doesn't cause necrotizing fasciitis. The article actually said what possible effects would be, such as diarrhea. Flesh eating disease isn't one of them. That's a harmful algal bloom, which is more of a concern if you eat shellfish from the area or ingest the water.

That's what I was implying, but I said it significantly less comprehensive. It's when you get a strand your body isn't used to that you start to have problems.

There was a really cool story on the internet this week about how quickly the ocean colonizes ones' skin upon entering the water. Very eye opening imo.

But MRSA is susceptible to many antibiotics, both old and new.
Until it's not. Draining does not always work. Antibiotics do not always work and it's name comes from it being resistant to many. Nothing worked for my son except cutting it out. It's not misinformation: it's history. Hygiene is the best cure and defense against MRSA. MRSA is mostly contracted in hospital settings.

Until it's not. Draining does not always work. Antibiotics do not always work and it's name comes from it being resistant to many. Nothing worked for my son except cutting it out. It's not misinformation: it's history. Hygiene is the best cure and defense against MRSA. MRSA is mostly contracted in hospital settings.

Yep. And gyms and prisons/jails. Basically any place a lot of people congegrate. Good catch on him say antibiotics always work. Missed that as I got distracted reading his post.

@STB it appears that you have made your mind up - don't dive if you feel the risk is too great.

Everyone else - read up on the risks and make a judgement as to the true risk which is relatively small. Bear in mind the risk can be further mitigated by taking reasonable precautions such as good wound treatment & hygiene.

Back
Top Bottom