Main reason I stopped diving or entering water is skin eating bacteria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

good to see you've found a purpose
what's a purpose of what, I thought the assuies where well educated especially in the english language.
Well i have to argue that the black and white banded sea snake does live in florida, at least one does. I came head on face to face with one in the Rainbow River a few years back (yes, a fresh water river). I just moved to the side and swished it away with water using my hands.
agilis is presumptuous to know where I dive, I have dove Ft.Lauderdale a few times but mainly
in the gulf of mexico I have observed many black sea snakes they seam oblivious to anything around them.

Well i have to argue that the black and white banded sea snake does live in florida, at least one does. I came head on face to face with one in the Rainbow River a few years back (yes, a fresh water river). I just moved to the side and swished it away with water using my hands.
don't know much about the snake except I believe there not aggressive wanting to bite everything that come's near them.
I think the odds of finding that microbe in water most of us want to swim in is approaching zero.
yes but the possibility still exists the dreaded staff infection of the sea.
handling a fish that insists on poking me is another concern of infection.

it appears that I will always have a cut in my skin due to fly bites then scratching the skin.

maybe I'll be OK in fresh water but Mr.C says no I assume he's referring to some other sort of infection.

flyboy: I have done a few jobs at 60 hudson st. I normally would stay in Jersey and enter city from Holland tunnel to justify the rental car and associated parking. some of the installation people liked staying in NYC w/out rentals and ride the subway.
are those NYC lunatics still pricking each other on the subway w/ AIDs infected needles?of course they are.

I'd rather poke myself in the eye w/ a sharp stick than be in NYC subway.

I have observed many black sea snakes they seam oblivious to anything around them.
No, you haven't. Probably a moray. We don't have venomous sea snakes in the Atlantic or the Gulf. We do have moccasins, copperheads and rattlesnakes in fresh and brackish waters but they won't bother you if you don't bother them. We also have gators, crocs and rabid otters.

not sure if it was a snake or eel I have sean moccasins in the choctawahachie bay in Ft. walton bch FL.

I usually don't eat yogurt but will start now after reading of good bacteria VS bad bacteria

I'm not quite understanding this thread. Is it about hypochondria? I'm not being sarcastic.
Is the thread just a general statement or someone looking for advice?

I usually don't eat yogurt but will start now after reading of good bacteria VS bad bacteria
That won't help your skin biota.
I have sean moccasins in the choctawahachie bay in Ft. walton bch FL.
Again: fresh or brackish water and I've seen them with divers and not bother them at all. Hell, I've had copperheads swim by me as I was wade fishing with no problems. You're not on their grocery list.

I'm not quite understanding this thread. Is it about hypochondria? I'm not being sarcastic.
Not hypochondria, but phobias.

Is the thread just a general statement or someone looking for advice?
it's real simply any break in the skin and there's a chance of infection that leads to amputation.

it appears that I will always have a cut in my skin due to fly bites then scratching the skin.

have you ever been attacked by florida's flies

it's real simply any break in the skin and there's a chance of infection that leads to amputation.

have you ever been attacked by florida's flies

That's not how the human body works. A break in the skin does not lead to amputation. I'm in my 50's. I've probably broken or had operated on pretty much every bone and limb, and even my face surgically repaired because of motorcycle accidents, gun shot wound, stabbing when I was younger, and even my internal organs like my lungs that where ruined because of 9/11. To date I've had zero amputations and my injuries were 1000x more dramatic than a bug bite.

My non-medically educated brain is telling me you'll be just fine. Keep diving because diving is AWESOME!!!

That's not how the human body works.
Remember: phobias are unreasonable. They aren't based on facts or logic. The only way to defeat a phobia is to bull your way through it or seek professional help. Me? I'm a bull and seek out my fears in order to meet them head on, perchance to deflate them. I live in a world of limits. Some are logical (NDLs, air and so forth) and some are spurious, based on ignorance and fears. While I respect the former, I love to debunk the latter.

I'm not quite understanding this thread. Is it about hypochondria? I'm not being sarcastic. Is the thread just a general statement or someone looking for advice?

Not hypochondria, but phobias

Anxiety vs fear?

Although I responded early on in the thread in regards to not using Chlorox on a wound, it's jumped around a little - maybe a lot! Wasn't sure if I was being entertained, exhausted by what I thought was the absurdity of it all, or if I have actually learned something.

I'm leaning more towards phobia as the OP is not writing about what they think they have but rather a fear of what they think they will get or what will happen if they go out boating/diving/etc....... From an earlier post, the OP is afraid to go in the water due to skin eating bacteria (but would if it were safe.) I'm sure there is a name for most of the fears mentioned in this thread.

Remember: phobias are unreasonable. They aren't based on facts or logic. The only way to defeat a phobia is to bull your way through it or seek professional help.

I totally agree with you on that. I am, still to this day, deathly afraid of heights. I controlled that fear by not just becoming a pilot, but from 1989~2002 I was a competition aerobatics pilot. Every time I got in my plane I was scared about leaving the ground, but once I was doing my aerobatic routine I was in Nirvana!

So yeah, you make a good point. My phobia was not only unreasonable, but had never harmed me and I faced it head on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom