Mainland Ecuador

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuberd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I'm traveling to Ecuador this fall. I know all about the Galapagos, but is there any diving on the mainland? and if so, can someone steer me in the right direction with dive shops down there?

scuberd once bubbled...
I'm traveling to Ecuador this fall. I know all about the Galapagos, but is there any diving on the mainland? and if so, can someone steer me in the right direction with dive shops down there?

The "mainland" would probably be Guyaquil (sic), if you're looking at someplace with an international airport to get there. I doubt that Quinto has anything more than a few mountain streams.

Generally speaking, this region is a lowland river delta-like type of area, which probably means silt and low viz. There's a large river that runs through Guyaquil right next to the airport and while I didn't get the best look at it from the airplane, it didn't look clear and sparkley.

A coworker who's from this area says that there are beaches that the locals will holiday at, but will only go in the summer, as they consider the winter water temperatures to be "too cold" for their liking...but then again, the winter is also the rainy season.

My general recommendation is to look at how much time you have to spend for your total holiday and consider spending extra discretionary time out in the Galapagos - - I did a week aboard a "normal" cruise before my scuba liveaboard week and would do that again...the quality of the naturalists was noticable. Plus, you're probably already going to be paying a ton of money for your flights and connections, so a double week helps amortize out that expense across more useful vacation days.

-hh

Just got back from the Galapagos. Dove Wolf and Darwin 4 weeks ago. Can't imagine going to Ecuador and not going out to these incredible islands. The best diving anywhere!

The river in Quyaguill is very dirty. One of our guides grew up spearfishing the wrecks off the coast of Ecuador.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom